SFP5 Pro VS SFP5 EB
Jan 3, 2008 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

I3urtonfeind

New Head-Fier
Im in the markent for the SFP5 Pro or the extended bass version. Im torn as I listen to a wide range of music, but I'm leaning towards the pros. does anyone have eny experience with the two of them, and what would I be sacrificing sound wise buying the Extended BASS

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 12
I havnt heard the EB's, but I can tell you that the Pros have great bass!

I listen to every genre, and from techno to classic, it doesn't ever fail. The techno beats have great thumping beats, but when I listen to something like classical, its greatly detailed and the mids/highs are superb!

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 12
I have the EBs and I will say it has quite the bass hit, after several hours of use it has improved a bit. What I will say is pay attention to what kind of music you will listen to. I basically only listen to trance and other electronica and so I find the EBs to be alright for me. But I will also say that even for my taste they may be a bit much in the lower frequencies. It doesn't seem to me, however, that it much affects the higher ranges either. If you are going to listen to music where a clear defined bass is required, then the pro with an armature set for the lower frequencies may be the better choice. The little subwoofer next to your canal may not be the best choice. While it serves a nice purpose for thumping my electronica, I think I would have been happy with either.

Just to clear this up, I don't think you really loose much from the higher frequencies of sound as far as quality goes if you went with EB. I have been trying to determine if the bass seems to overpower the higher frequencies to the point of not noticing them. Comparisons with my er6i seems perfect for this, but has been slow going =P.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the EB version might be overkill for some genres.

I might go so far as to say just an outright bad choice for some genres, at the very least some songs.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the EB version might be overkill for some genres.

that did it for me. The pros are the way to go from what I gather. Im quite confident from what everyone has said that I will be much happier with them Thanks

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 12
I have both and agree...I still love the EB's but I use the pros more when I am about with my I pod mini...the bass is great. I have recently acquired a headphone amp which certainly made my EB rock with more clarity and tighter bass. I listen to this on my 5 gen ipod 80 g when at home relaxing.
I think the pro will suffice but I bet your curiosity will get the best of you and if you get one, will eventually get both....

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 12
I have the Triple.fi and I can tell you that they managed to get IMHO borderline excessive bass out of those balanced armatures. I can only imagine how much bass the Super.fi EBs must have. I'll bet they have so much that they really aren't meant for the more discerning Head-Fi crowd at all and are more positioned at people who only listen to bass like those people who have their car stereos just pumping out bass. I don't mean to offend anyone who really likes their EB, but music is not all about bass and overwhelming bass just serves no purpose but to overwhelm you.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 12
SXR71 views are quite acceptable and correct to most...I still like the EB's but tend to listen to both pro and Eb when the occasion fits. I envy the fact that he has the Triple fi and that's next on the shopping list.
The problem is that I don't feel overwhelm with the bass and still find the Eb clear especially when amped...but this is a personal view...

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah I agree with michaelbe3, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything and with my style of music it fits perfectly. While the bass is present (there really is like a little subwoofer next to the ear drum), it is done well. Though straight out of the box it didn't sound so hot.

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 12
i've been using superfi-pro for about a year now. i knew i would want an eb as an upgrade before getting the pro. as a basshead, you know you always want more bass. maybe i'll get se530 first. i tried se530 and there was lots of bass, i remember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back