SF5Pro versus Q-Jays (Do these threads ever end?)
Mar 16, 2008 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ZarakiSan

100+ Head-Fier
I swear, there's dozens of threads on these phones, but I really need a personal one, because there's some stuff that are personal, about these phones.

First off, I have DT880's, and I plan to power both the IEM's and the DT's with my CMOY. It's a BSG one, so it had dual gain, one set for my DT's and one set for IEM's. Since I don't have any IEM's (Unless you count my now-broken CX300's), I really don't know how they help the sound.

I'm looking for some new IEM's, and I'm looking at around the 200 mark. I don't want customs, they're too much a hassle for me, since I live in Europe. I don't want Atrio M5/M8's either, they're too ugly, and I don't like Shure IEM's because of some experience with E3's and E5's, both of which sounded like, eh, poo. I'm also for a tad more low-end than the DT880's give me, because it's slightly anemic while stationary and it'd only get worse on the bus and so on. So, more lows than DT880's, please?

I put the CMOy in my jacket's breast pocket when on the move, so I like the short cable on the Q-Jays, It's really a shame the UE's don't have any real short wires, that I know of. Or can I order 20-inchers somewhere?

I'm a Rock listener, and I favor highs slightly above lows. I know the UE's have both and seem a little low on mids, but how the Q-Jays sound? I can't seem to find a good description of their sound. To anyone who used them both: Which one do you think sounds better for classic/soft/medium rock? Which one has the closest sound signature to DT880's?

Then there's comfort. I know you can switch the UE's left/right cables and make them much more comfy, from the sound of it, by wearing them down insstead of over your ears. But, I think the Q-Jays are much more comfy, right?

I just don't know which one to go for.

EDIT: I also want to know: how do Shure Olive tips fit on either of these phones? I might want to use those, since I can ge thtem easily and they look very comfy.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 37
bump.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 37
check out the futuresonic atrio m5/m8...

they are awesome

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 37
The Super.Fi are overpriced sub-par phones, IMO. If you didn't like the Shures, you will probably hate the muddy, veiled, uncomfortable, no-soundstage, boomy, etc, Super.Fi's.

The q-Jays certainly are somewhat similar to the DT880, you can read my review about them here: JAYS q-JAYS Review

They're great sounding phones, I like them a lot.

Mar 17, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Super.Fi are overpriced sub-par phones, IMO. If you didn't like the Shures, you will probably hate the muddy, veiled, uncomfortable, no-soundstage, boomy, etc, Super.Fi's.

The q-Jays certainly are somewhat similar to the DT880, you can read my review about them here: JAYS q-JAYS Review

They're great sounding phones, I like them a lot.

Interesting. did you try the shure olive tips on them yet? I read that review before, and it really proves to me that those ears can be pretty damn good.

They're on the winning side right now...

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 37
I have found the SF5Pro to be way too uncomfortable (I have average/smaller ears) and they make you look like Frankenstein (they stick out way too much even after having flipped the cables). I returned mine a few days after I bought them. Quite a lot of people had a similar experience with them. On the other hand Q-jays should be very very comfortable. So if comfort is a critical factor, Q-jays are the way to go.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 37
The SF5 Pro sound amazing and aren't uncomfortable at all for me. They have more emphasis on the bass than the treble, but I feel that the treble is more than just sufficient, perhaps even perfect. The mids are slightly recessed, though. Overall, they are great IEMs that are wonderful for rock music, but do other genres very well also.

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 37
Actually I really love my q-JAYS. When I got them in November last year I was up to the decision to sell my Shure E4 or stay with them. Although it took one week because of the E4's smoothness I ended up with selling them and today I'm pretty happy with my choice. I use the q-JAYS every day (I have them in at the moment) and they are just great. The q-JAYS are very detailed, have just the right amount of bass and, although midrange is slightly recessed, mids are still enjoyable and not overlaid by other frequencies. But the best thing about q-JAYS is their size: It was unbelievable, when I got to see them for the first time. So, if you like detailed sound with clear and extended highs and well proportioned bass, go for q-JAYS!

Mar 17, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 37
Even though the poll is leaning towards the SF5s, I'm leaning towards the Q-Jays. I don't hear a bad word about them, and they should sound a lot like my DT880's...

To the guys who said "other", what others were you thinking of?

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by db_cyberbloc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I really love my q-JAYS. When I got them in November last year I was up to the decision to sell my Shure E4 or stay with them. Although it took one week because of the E4's smoothness I ended up with selling them and today I'm pretty happy with my choice. I use the q-JAYS every day (I have them in at the moment) and they are just great. The q-JAYS are very detailed, have just the right amount of bass and, although midrange is slightly recessed, mids are still enjoyable and not overlaid by other frequencies. But the best thing about q-JAYS is their size: It was unbelievable, when I got to see them for the first time. So, if you like detailed sound with clear and extended highs and well proportioned bass, go for q-JAYS!

Yes....I was in the same boat as you deciding between Q-jays and SF5PROS, but i went for q-Jays for sleek design,super-comfortness and breath-taking detail and NEUTRAL SOUND!!. What db said is what i was going to say. If you are Bass-head don't go for q-jays. Q-jays have accurate bass but not shallow or thin, its bass is very tight, deep and punch but not boomy at all!

After I found a good seal for q-jays, it's heavenly. if you heard of ER-4 that is known for analytic and most accurate IEM, you can imagine ER-4 with more bass, yeah! it's that good.

You have to read DFKT's review and also look for comparison between Shure E500 and q-JAYS by member name "Claus-DK".

DFKT and Claus-DK's review made me purchase the q-Jays, and I never looked back and very grateful to two of them to lead me to my Jays!

I'm considering upgrade, only when Westone-3 comes out; which means i'll never upgrade until 2015 (if you know what I mean)
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though the poll is leaning towards the SF5s, I'm leaning towards the Q-Jays.

The poll is useless, you're on Head-Fi after all.
wink.gif

You can be very sure that most people voting in that poll didn't hear/test/own both the q-Jays AND Super.Fi... maybe not even one of them. Maybe they just vote for whatever they "believe" to be better, for some reason or other.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 37
I have both of them. But soundwise, i prefer the q-jays. They are more neutral definitely good for rock. If you consider the form factor, fit..etc, then its a landslide victory for q-jays...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back