SF5P v Cowon D2 v Yuin Pk1 v iGrado
Apr 3, 2007 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

_M2

500+ Head-Fier
Ive limited my choices to these due to music preference and price after countless hours searching:

1.SF5Pro
2.Cowon D2
3.Yuin Pk1+iBasso T1 amp
4.Yuin Pk1+Zero Audiocraft amp
5.iGrado+ T1 / ZA amp

What should I get for the best bang from buck; or just best bang? Right now I have Samsung YP-Z5, ksc75, ep630. I want sound similar to SPC K81 (which i owned previously) or MS1 but dont want headphone hair. [Tried OVC T25, didnt impress me.]

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 12
I completely love the D2 for its features but recognize that while its sound quality is absolutely not shabby... it is bettered by several players including its older brother the x5.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 12
Most cans you will find here will be over the head, so really not much of a choice unless if you go for IEMs. Shure, Ety, Westone there's tonnes of IEMs out there to choose from. Some behind the neck cans that I can think of would be the sportapro and the PMX100...no idea how they measure up to their originals PortaPro and PX100.

If you don't want headphone hair, you could get a full sized Grado and shave your hair. j/k

All joking aside, I think a regular headphone really would be best. Strange thing how we don't see many "street-styled" phones here.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive limited my choices to these due to music preference and price after countless hours searching:

1.SF5Pro
2.Cowon D2
3.Yuin Pk1+iBasso T1 amp
4.Yuin Pk1+Zero Audiocraft amp
5.iGrado+ T1 / ZA amp

What should I get for the best bang from buck; or just best bang? Right now I have Samsung YP-Z5, ksc75, ep630. I want sound similar to SPC K81 (which i owned previously) or MS1 but dont want headphone hair. [Tried OVC T25, didnt impress me.]

Your request looks like it's mixing your source and headphone questions, but I'll throw in a couple of cents on the headphones...

I have never heard the iGrado, but for the most part it appears to be dismissed by the crowd here. I was looking for something in that format myself, but lost interest after the lackluster reviews here and elsewhere. I already had a KSC-35 so no big loss.

As far as the SF5Pro, I've never heard it...but I do own it's big brother, the UE5c custom. I enjoy that headphone for when I need isolation and it is very similar to the E500 (which I slightly prefer).

What has really shook up my headphone lineup is the PK1. While not the best headphone I've ever heard, they are the best ultra portable headphone I've heard. The fact that I like them better than my $550 UE5c's is really something thats tearing me apart
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions, but upon further research, I think Ill go with the PK1 for Rap and Trance and I am happy if it will be close to the ksc75s' amount of bass.

1. SF5P seems like hit or miss with people
2. D2 - I already have a DAP and a laptop so the features are useless, unless the SQ would be better than Z5+amp I might consider it if someone says so.
5. iGrados are coming so I guess im stuck with it for now.

Now, is something like the iBasso or ZAC enough to power the PK1 to good quality? iBasso also has this bass booster so it might be useful for the PK1s...

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions, but upon further research, I think Ill go with the PK1 for Rap and Trance and I am happy if it will be close to the ksc75s' amount of bass.

1. SF5P seems like hit or miss with people
2. D2 - I already have a DAP and a laptop so the features are useless, unless the SQ would be better than Z5+amp I might consider it if someone says so.
5. iGrados are coming so I guess im stuck with it for now.

Now, is something like the iBasso or ZAC enough to power the PK1 to good quality? iBasso also has this bass booster so it might be useful for the PK1s...

PK1's will have less bass than the KSC75's...but the bass that is there is better defined. Going from my KSC-35's it was a shock at first, but I am getting used to it. If you do get some, make sure you burn them in for a few days before rendering final judgement...it seemed to help some bass come out with my pair.

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 12
How much difference is there between amped and unamped KSC35?
I find it to have sibilant 's', straight from my Kenwood player.

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much difference is there between amped and unamped KSC35?
I find it to have sibilant 's', straight from my Kenwood player.

I've never experienced sibilance on my 35's (except on some poorly encoded mp3's). With my amp, the koss's improve by becoming slightly more impactful, with better definition of bass and mids.

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 12
from my memory, i prefer the pk1's over the sf5p. I had the sf5p briefly before selling it, but from my recollection i remember it sounding a bid muddy and congested. both which are not found in the pk1's at all. However, i was using the sf5p w/o an amp and i'd imagine w/ an amp it might clean up the bass and bring a bit more attention to detail.. however, this is all speculation as again i've never tried the sf5p w/ an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back