sf5p embarrassment
Mar 2, 2006 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DVX52

New Head-Fier
So today going to school, I have my super.fi 5 pro's in my ear with the biflanges, they are about 3 months old. Irrelevant fact, I was listening to Cursive's Domestica.

So I take them out of my ears just as I get into class, and BOTH of the silicon biflanges are stuck in my ear. I try to get them out and they probably got pushed farther in. So, I have to get a pass to the nurses and have her take them out with tweezers (but not before giving me a "Your generation will go deaf" lecture
rolleyes.gif
).

This has been happening all day. I don't think it's the fit, because its how it should be, so I've been taking them out extremely carefully, even though sometimes this doesn't even work. I guess the best solution is to order more silicon tips from UE that aren't as loose.

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 21
I had a problem with them being too big, the smaller ones go in and out easier.
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 21
yeah, sounds like a bummer, especially if you were listening to them in class and the teacher didn't care for it. oh well, soon forgotten.

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 21
Could there be wax on bi-flange's inside or on the "stems" of the UEs ? Maybe a cleaning and a thourough dry would do the trick. Funny comment about the wallet
biggrin.gif
it would be even funnier if it were'nt so true.

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 21
Do you like the bi-flanges on your Super.fi's?

Personally I can't find anything better than the medium soft rubber tips. Actually I think they are the ones the Super.fi's ship with. I've never had a removal problem, it's amusing they BOTH came off. Sounds like the rubber is breaking down and losing it's "tightness". Either that or you're getting a VERY good seal!! heh, welcome aboard.

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 21
Funny the nurse says that about the 'phone most likely to help save your hearing.

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVX52
BOTH of the silicon [sic] biflanges are stuck in my ear. I try to get them out and they probably got pushed farther in...

This is exactly what happened to me when I had the Shure E3C (had to use tweezers, too, when it got beyond the grasp of my fingers). I have the UE Super.fi 5, and it scares me to think this can happen again.

Oh man...
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 21
i still do not understand this... i must have really small ear canals bc the biflanges dn't go that far in for me.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
i still do not understand this... i must have really small ear canals bc the biflanges dn't go that far in for me.

Same here. I use the smallest size silicones and get good a good seal, and haven't had any extraction problems yet.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Personally I can't find anything better than the medium soft rubber tips. Actually I think they are the ones the Super.fi's ship with

Well those are the ones I've been using for the last month, but I actually lost one of the medium tips last night, which is the reason I used the bi-flange this morning.

Quote:

Could there be wax on bi-flange's inside or on the "stems" of the UEs ?

I keep the inside pretty clean, but the stems I'll have to check. That might be the source of the problem.

Quote:

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Well, the purchase of the super.fi's weren't that bad on it, but with e500 and UE XXX on the horizon...
icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Do you wash the tips with soap and water after every use?

Does anyone?
rolleyes.gif

That would be a serious chunk of my life spent cleaning earwax. Not sure about that. Maybe carry some alcohol-based hand sanitizing Purel or something to clean them on the go? Not sure if this would work well or have an adverse affect on the soft rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back