SF MASSDROP HEADFI MEET IMPRESSIONS - 11/7/15
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #61 of 69

That makes a lot of sense. You should bring your modded pair to the next local meet--I'm very interested to hear how much bass these cans can put out with a proper seal on the pads!

@stjj89 the above user was the only Head-Fi member from their staff that I'm aware of. 

@recarcar you have the ESP 950 also? Another user had his on display.
As of this weekend I will be the new owner of that 950 electrostat rig (with the stock amp unit). Could you explain how to add foam in the earpads without ruining it in the process? Feel free to send me a link if it's already explained somewhere.

I don't know how I missed it! Haha. I was planning on taking it over to the meet but I loaned it out and couldn't get it back in time. I'll definitely have them for the next meet.

The mod is super easy. All you need is a x-acto knife and a pair of super cheap ($5?) Koss replacement pads. I just cut the foam out of my old 950 pads down to about 1/4 of an inch in thickness. With the x-acto knife I just carefully cut open the new pads, put the extra foam in and sewed them back up. Super easy and helps with the seal! Of course YMMV because these things are so long it seems that the shape of one's face also has a lot to do with it. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #62 of 69
Awesome, thanks. I'll prob. order a pair of extra pads to do that. I've done that same thing before with the earpads of DT-100's but with gauze and scissors / tape since I can't sew and don't have a razor blade, so I'll see what I can do later. Prob. I should just try it first though.

Koss is an extremely polarizaing audio company, IMO because on one hand, they make cheapo Cracker Jack quality headphones, and on another they make some that are approaching the likes of Stax with their electrostats, and like Sennheiser with their Porta Pros.

Here's to wishing we could try the Orpheus 2 someday - or at least #1. Maybe if we get a band of several hundred Head-Fi'ers to pitch in we can buy one to share - but then shipping / transit / insurance issues would be a pain...

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #63 of 69
  Awesome, thanks. I'll prob. order a pair of extra pads to do that. I've done that same thing before with the earpads of DT-100's but with gauze and scissors / tape since I can't sew and don't have a razor blade, so I'll see what I can do later. Prob. I should just try it first though.

Koss is an extremely polarizaing audio company, IMO because on one hand, they make cheapo Cracker Jack quality headphones, and on another they make some that are approaching the likes of Stax with their electrostats, and like Sennheiser with their Porta Pros.

Here's to wishing we could try the Orpheus 2 someday - or at least #1. Maybe if we get a band of several hundred Head-Fi'ers to pitch in we can buy one to share - but then shipping / transit / insurance issues would be a pain...

Yeah Koss has always been a value oriented company that seems to be trying to cover all its basis in terms of price/quality. I wish they would revisit the ESP950 again or just work on another flagship with the know how that obviously someone has or had...

The ESP950 is a great value but I still think it would be interesting if they went all in and tried to create another value oriented flagship again in the 1K area, as I don't think many people are buying the 950 at MSRP anyway. An improved ESP950 with better build would be an incredible bargain at around the 1k mark IMO.

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #66 of 69
@Law87 wanted me to build his T1 into a Custom One Pro just like mines. @DecentLevi @WillBright @dusk I was wondering if you guys and whoever else tried my Custom T1 Pros could leave some impressions of them here for @Law87. Here's the photo if you guys forgot what they looked like:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back