SF Bay Area - Where to go?
Jul 10, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen HD650 or higher phones at AudioVision, House of Music. SF Stereo or Music Lovers in San Francisco. If anything, they are reducing their selection and inventory. Your best bet is the NorCal meet in August.

You may not have seen the 650s at Audiovision, but I've listened to them there. In fact, it's the only place I've ever listened to them. And, they still have them on their website.

House of Music has a line of Sennheisers on display that goes up to the 580. Considering that they sell 5 ( and probably 6) digit speakers, and have different rooms for different budgets, I don't think its unreasonable to think they might have a 650 on hand to demo as well. So, I suggested he call.

That said, I agree with you that the best variety and experience is probably a meet. But that's not for a month. If the OP wants to listen to those headphones this weekend (and perhaps buy one after using their resources to demo) picking up the phone and calling those three authorized dealers is a pretty good bet, no?

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in Cupertino also, maybe we could gather some local head-fi'ers for a mini-meet.. that way we can try out different gear?

Just a thought.. I'd be in.

Woo woo Tino! Same here. For the summer atleast. I assume you guys are pretty young?

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo woo Tino! Same here. For the summer atleast. I assume you guys are pretty young?

pedobear_road_sign.png

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #20 of 22
I'm definitely going to the meet up in August.

Can someone recommend some headphones based on the following impressions of what I have heard:

HD600's - Not that transparent but pleasant. Comfortable.
K701's - Transparent, but unengaging. Uncomfortable.
GS100's- Transparent, engaging with and upper midrange low treble edge that is livable. Comfortable.
AHD7000's- Transparent, engaging with too much bass and upper frequency glare that I could not live with. Comfortable.
SR60/80/125/225/325- Haven't heard these in years, but never liked te sound or the comfort level.

I haven't heard any Ultrasone's or Audio Technica phones, and haven't heard the current offerings from Sony either.

So while I'm dreaming, I want the overall sound, presentation, and comfort level of the GS1000's with a more integrated midrange/treble...for ~half the money. Can it be done?

Thanks,

Chris

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 22
You might check out the Shure threads on the new closed phones. They look promising.

Maybe you'll get lucky and somebody will have them at the meet in a few weeks.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 22
I only have a pair of rx700s and sr60s but I'm in cupertino and would love doing a meetup to see what other people have. I'm not sure if I'd more expensive stuff enough to justify spending $800 headphones and an amp, but I do want to upgrade to something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back