SF Bay Area Meet in Marin -- Saturday, October 14, 2006
Oct 18, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #92 of 95
May i come (i promise to bring my amp if i can
wink.gif
)

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #93 of 95
Sorry to post so late, but I've been busy what with midterms and all. This was my first meet (I'm a relatively new convert), and I had a great time. Finally listening to all the headphones I had only read about was a very fun and amazing experience. What impressed me the most, hands-down, were the Orpheus (of course) and the RS-1 through the Zana Deux (and quite frankly, almost anything through the Zana Deux). I had already loved RS-1s (and am listening to circularlogic's right now), but I had never heard them so . . . alive, and real. I also thoroughly enjoyed the K1000 and HD650 (as I expected) but I was a tad let down by the GS1000 and especially so by the PS-1. I guess I just really don't like bass.
rs1smile.gif
The HE90 was, of course, the most mind-blowing experience (my girlfriend and I both had them on and we both jumped and looked to the left when a trumpet belted out a note), but I still had more fun with the RS-1. I can't wait to hear it out of the Zana Deux once circularlogic gets his grubby paws on it.
biggrin.gif
I'm sure I'll get a Zana Deux of my own once I either graduate (forcing my hand, since I won't have access to one anymore), or I somehow come upon enough money and impatience to purchase one of my own.
biggrin.gif
Either way, I'm sold. Thanks so much Grahame for hosting this great event, and to everyone else for bringing all the great gear.
orphsmile.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #94 of 95
Thanks for the impressions nibiyabi. You've inspired me to start a thread about the Zana Deux amp. I was on the Singlepower track (loving the sound), but wish I would have heard that one longer at the meet. I'll put the thread in the amp forum.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #95 of 95
I apologize for the belated post (and bumping this tired thread); I wasn’t planning to pen any impressions because I feel others’ have already said what was on my mind for the most part. However, some have cajoled me into a weak post…

Firstly the Zana Deux really is amazing, and I felt the HD-30 was close in performance but lacked that last touch of refinement and soundstage depth. I really enjoyed the PS-1 and HP-1 with the ZD, but it performed well with the K701 and DT880v2005 too. I still don’t like the HP-1000; if a Maestrobated SHA-Gold, the EAR HP4, Gilmore Dynamight, Singlepower SDS-XLR and Zana Deux cannot provide the synergy it needs to please my ears I’m gonna finally give up on the ol’ lass. The oldest RS-1 of the 3 or 4 lying around did indeed sound more “magical” to my ears – perhaps it was simply due to its obviously better build quality, but it just sounded better. I still prefer the MS-Pro to the RS-1, however.
rs1smile.gif
The GS-1000 still sound a bit odd to me (with the ZD, Singlepower Concerto ES or Dynamight) but those super-bowls sound great with the PS-1 – that is still my favorite Grado when its bass is well-tempered, and I think the GS-1000 bowls are perfect for the PS-1. Yay Eddie Current! Finally another amazing tube amp for can lovers!

I had some time to compare the SA3000 (severely lacking in body, IMO), SA5000 and AD2000 and the AD2K is by far my personal choice – I may even prefer it to the W11JPN, which is currently my second favorite AT of all (the L3000 is still the top AT dog, IMO). I’ve owned both the SA5000 and AD2000 but I’ve never owned them together – the Sony is more detailed and sparkly but the AD2000 is more natural to my ears and way more balanced using various gear. I think the reason I sold the AD2000 when I originally owned it was due to the poor synergy: the DAC1 was simply not a good amplifier choice for the headphone – my M-cubed, on the other hand, exhibits tremendous synergy with the AD2K – perhaps I’ll buy it yet again, just like the K1000…though the fit of the AD2K (and its wooden sibling, the W5000) would require some slight modification as they don’t fit me without an awkward placement on my head (maybe that's why I sold it).

Now I’ve heard the Meitner combo three times and every time it re-affirms its presence at the top of Redbook reproduction and with SACDs it’s the best source I’ve ever heard (digital/analog/whatever) – it even helps Neil’s Paradigms sound tolerable!
wink.gif
The Maxxed-out ES1/HE90 combo will sound amazing on the Meitner gear…The Orpheus system always sounds so lush and pleasing and I always have difficulty choosing a favorite among it and the ES1 (or KGSS or Blue Hawaii for that matter – those 2 sound great with the HE90 as well). I think at the end of the day, the added resolution and “guts” of the ES1 put it on top. I have yet to hear the Aristeaus, but as of now the ES1 is my choice amp for the HE90 – it exhibits the delicacy and warmth of the HEV90 without the “extra” smoothness and without the lack of dynamics; it also resembles the utter power and heft of the KGSS/Blue Hawaii but with a resolution that surpasses those amps. Neil’s a lucky lad to have a Maxxed-out ES1 en route to his house (especially with the Meitner gear ready to accompany it all). I do love the HEV90/HE90 combo, but the Blue Hawaii revealed its lack of dynamics to me and the ES1 revealed its limitations in the resolution department. It seems the HE90, like its dynamic brethren, the HD650, is never satiated when it comes to associated equipment – perhaps that is the strongest compliment to Sennheiser.

This is my second time hearing the Pass Labs Alpeh3/K1000 combo and it impressed me again! The RKV MkII was right there and I still felt compelled to remain listening to the Aleph3 rig – the bass is that much tighter and the whole sound is more dynamic (let’s not even mention my own Kenwood receiver, which, although detailed with an impressive soundstage, sounded utterly anemic after hearing the Aleph). I cannot wait to hear the First Watt F1, which was designed for single-driver speakers (kinda like the K1000) and it’s fully-balanced – imagine the Meitner gear feedin’ it the SACD tunes!

The A900 and A900LTD sounded somewhat similar, but the LTD version sounded a bit more distant with a more expansive sound. The standard A900 sounded more intimate and more forward while the LTD was a bit more open and airy. I’m not sure which I preferred but the W11JPN trumps ‘em both! The W11R sounds similar to the W11JPN, IMO but it’s a bit colder and lacking in mid-bass. The W11JPN is also a better-looking ‘phone – perhaps that’s the real reason I prefer it!

Singlepower’s Concerto ES thingy. Maestro+ES1 in a single chassis (and a nice tube-rectified PS with a PURPLEY tube) – finally a single amp for all the HE90 and R10 owners!
wink.gif
Alex this one’s perfect for your dorm! Now I can hold onto that icky gigantic SDS-XLR for ya!

Miscellaneous notes:
Head-fiers are the nerdiest and simultaneously some of the coolest folk out there!

The modded HE60 was WAAAY better! I swear (but I'll not submit to a DBT)!!

I don’t think I’ll ever be a Stax guy – I’ve heard the Omega 2 with 7 different amps and it has never impressed me (though I think the Blue Hawaii is the best choice, even with the ES1 around - the synergy between the BH and Omega 2 is amazing, despite the Omega II's "handicap"
wink.gif
). C’est la vie!

The balanced K701 surprised me – I honestly thought they wouldn’t sound that much better but they did! I still don’t think they can scale as well as the balanced HD650, which can climb to the top of the SDS-XLR ladder and still proclaim that it can handle more (can any other headphone say that, well other than the HE90)!

Listening to the DT250 was like visiting an old girlfriend, but I still prefer her hotter sister (K271).

The new DT880 does sound better than the 2003 variety but it’s still too "shouty" and I’m glad I sold it (twice)!

I saw an AKG K81DJ with those Sennheiser HD25-1 velour pads on ‘em – a capital idea, gent!

I think I’ve been Sphongled! Twice!

I’m really glad I attended (yet another d@mn) meet, especially because this time we had those little crack-brownies!

See ya at the National Meet (I promised Al)!

Thank you Grahame (and wife) and all other Head-Fiers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back