sextett - yes or no?
Apr 25, 2008 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

howlndog

Head-Fier
I am interested in purchasing an AKG K240 Sextett and came across this pair, shown below. It appears to have the six drivers (image 1), yet has gold trim (image 2). Can anyone confirm one way or another whether this is in fact a sextett (and which version it may be)?

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by howlndog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in purchasing an AKG K240 Sextett and came across this pair, shown below. It appears to have the six drivers (image 1), yet has gold trim (image 2). Can anyone confirm one way or another whether this is in fact a sextett (and which version it may be)?

I'd say yes.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 19
Yeah, I saw that auction too and the slight orange showing around the radiators shows it's the MP version. The gold ring is some wear or chemical reaction or maybe even paint. You can see that it used to be silver where the cup swivels, deeper inside.

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by howlndog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would say, buy them. How much are they asking for them?

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 19
They are currently on Ebay... the price is still low ($12.00), but given my "spilling the beans", who knows where it will land
cool.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 19
My K240 had the same discoloration when I first got it. A little rubbing alcohol will turn that gold back to silver.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 19
yeah, it's just really really filthy.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, it's just really really filthy.

Could be a lot of nicotine.
eek.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 19
Why can't I find a cheap pair of sextetts
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why can't I find a cheap pair of sextetts
frown.gif

There's plenty on ebay. Be patient, and scan all european auctions with the term AKG in the title. I bet one will turn up in a couple of weeks max.

I will also sell an LP as soon as I find the time to reterminate it, but it won't be particularly cheap as it's in excellent condition (elastics included) and comes with the original box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back