Sextett bass vs K701 bass levels
Feb 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Hmm...

Well I would like my new phones to have and equal/better bass response vs my current 701s.

I have read that the Sextetts have good bass response for an AKG, how does it compare to the 701? Would I be best in going with the EP model as it has the largest amount of bass response?

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 19
I have k702 and late production sextetts. The k702 wins every category imo. I don't think my sextetts have more bass maybe about the same below 80hz seems like they have a little boost in the kick drum area 80hz to 120hz roughly. They say the earlier models have more though and mind you I am just running my cans off of my dj mixer.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 19
I agree with Bubba, not as lean. I owned the 702 and preferred the Sextetts overall presentation.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 19
Well I am mostly going to a linear response here: flat down to twenty.

Mind you the K701 was my first real can so I do not have much idea about the abstractions you guys use to describe the properties. Still appreciate the advice though.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since bass extension is what you want there, the Sextett cannot match the K701 in this respect. What the Sextett has to offer is fuller, weightier bass.

Cheers!

really? K701 bass sounds like cloud puffs. I mean it's tight, and detailed, but I can't imagine it goes very deep. I've never done tests or anything though.

The K240 sound is completely different from the K701, so much so that it is almost as if made by a different company- except for the mids- AKG really knows how to deliver on vocals- maybe because they have such a long history making microphones...

But if you have never owned another headphone, I would say go for it, because even if you don't like the sextett, referencing what you like/dislike about the two of them will give you a really good idea what the right headphone is.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 19
Heh just need to find one now >_>

God damnit Fitz is never on aim D:

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 19
dsc03806bq6.jpg

These are probably mid production eh?
They have the red/orange box.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? K701 bass sounds like cloud puffs. I mean it's tight, and detailed, but I can't imagine it goes very deep. I've never done tests or anything though.

Don't confuse bass extension with bass weight/volume. They are not the same thing.

I agree, however, that the Sextett is enjoyable to listen to, owing much to its euphonic/even-handed presentation and generous bass. Truly different enough from the K601/K701 (and K401 which I own) that comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. You really need to hear them side by side to decide which you like better (and if you will end up keeping both
biggrin.gif
).

Cheers!

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since bass extension is what you want there, the Sextett cannot match the K701 in this respect. What the Sextett has to offer is fuller, weightier bass.

Cheers!

The Sextett does have rather good bass extension, depending on the pair (and how good the seal is), it just tends to get overshadowed by the prominant midbass. With certain music I can hear a lot of deep bass information quite clearly on them that is barely audible on my speakers (which are good to about 40Hz).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh just need to find one now >_>

God damnit Fitz is never on aim D:

It's probably been a couple years since I logged into AIM... I wonder if I can guess what my password was.
ph34r.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow you got MP, lucky rascal.

Yeah I wish....
They went on ebay for about 110 + 12 I think.
Then again they came with the box and manual... looked great.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 19
Heh yeah I was thinking about changing it soon...

Was thinking the one were she is wiping a bloody finger on a mirror. That's my fav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back