Sex Mob - anyone listen to them?
Nov 24, 2001 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

neil

500+ Head-Fier
I was listening to NPR the other day, and on Fresh Air with Terry Gross, she interviewed Steven Bernstein from the Sex Mob. I've never heard of them before the interview (Real Audio). They're a jazz group, and from what I've heard on the show, they're pretty damn good.. very good recordings (from what I heard over the radio) and pretty inventive fun stuff.

Their latest album is called Sex Mob Does Bond.

I really encourage you to listen to the radio show interview -- it's fun, and I think if you're in to Jazz or on the fence (like myself) this may very well turn you on to the Sex Mob. I'm definitely gonna pick this one up.

Nov 25, 2001 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 9
I gave this cd a listen at cdnow's site. The beats are quite heavy for jazz, at least compared to the jazz I listen to. It mixes quite strangely with the playful trumpets. Anything to do with Bond has to be good but what's a Bond cd without Tom Jones doing Thunderball?
smily_headphones1.gif

btw neil, if you think you're going to have the last word on THIS thread, then think again. Ha!

Mr. Thread Ender.

Nov 25, 2001 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 9
The guy who plays the "slide trumpet" (forgot his name... Bernstein, maybe?) has a solo album that I thought sounded really good, too. I love the fact that these guys don't practice. Everything is done on the first take.

If you want ultra cool James Bond music the *must have* CD is "Shaken and Stirred - The David Arnold James Bond Project". All original arrangements played by David Arnold Project and featuring: Iggy Pop, Propellerheads, Leftfield, Pulp, Aimee Mann, Chrissie Hind and more...

Nov 25, 2001 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 9
I think I've heard of that Shaken and Stirred album, but I should have known if Pulp was in there. Damn! Must have missed those guys. That's the album with ABC doing Thunderball right?

What's new *****cat? Whoa Whoa Whoa! <- Sheer genious!

Nov 26, 2001 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 9
If you want a really cool James Bond-type vibe, but with a slightly darker experimental twist, check out 'Moss Side Story' by Barry Adamson - one time Nick Cave co-conspirator.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Even better would be Barry Adamson's "The Man with the Golden Arm". I have only heard this at a friend's house, but from memory it was James Bond-esque

Nov 26, 2001 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 9
Actually, Martin Fry is featured on Shaken and Stirred's version of Thunderball. So much James Bond music out there -- who would have thunk it?

Nov 26, 2001 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 9
For "James Bond-ish" tracks... anyone heard "Carrera Rapida" by Apollo Four Forty? I think "spy movie" every time I hear it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back