Several questions about custom ear molds for in-ear monitors
Dec 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thrillscience

New Head-Fier
I'm intrigued by custom ear molds, and I have several questions. (I've never had a pair, so I know little about them)

1. Can I get custom molds for any in-ear headphone, or only ones that are designed for it (like the Etomotic)? Or can I get one made for, say, a Grado GR8 or GR10?

2. How do you get the Etomotic custom? Do I buy one of their "custom compatible" models, and then go get my ear cast, or are there dealers that do it all in one step?

3. What are the most recommended brands for the custom in-ear mold?

4. What's the general consensus on the benefits of custom mold vs a well fitting stock tip on an in-ear?

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 5
1. Yes, you can. You can get them reshelled by a variety of companies, that have slipped my mind at the moment.
2. Not sure.
3. JH Audio, Ultimate Ears, Unique Melody, etc. 
4. Custom is often more comfortable, and usually sound better. Also, you will get poor resale value with a CIEM(Custom In-Ear Monitor) as it needs to be remolded to the buyer's ears.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks! I've since read a lot about them and already had a set of impressions made. I'm looking for a full custom one, from Ultimate Ears, 1964Ears, etc. I'll make a decision in the next week or so.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm getting customs done at a local Audiologist for my Shure SE 846s. They are changable tips, so you can just get them made and put them on. The UE's are only molds, so the next person will need to have customs made as well. 

Online I found the customs for like $200. Locally, I found them for $120.

I wonder if there is a difference in the material used or something. No idea.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 5
To the best of my knowledge, Ety does their custom sleeves like this:

1. You purchase the IEMs themselves through an authorized retailer.
2. You register on the custom sleeve website and reference where you purchased your IEMs.
3. You pay for the custom sleeves.
3. You visit one of Etymotic's network audiologists and get impressions done. The audiologist will send the impressions to Ety, Ety will make the sleeves and send them to you.

So if you can't find a network audiologist, then things get a lot harder (and more expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back