Several Noob Questions
Feb 2, 2006 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mokpie

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and so far it has been great. Everyone is very helpful and so I was hoping I could get answers to a couple noobish questions. I figure I might as well get em all with one stone!

a) When starting up what should be my first step/upgrade? Right now I dont have anything special but by the same token dont have alot of money to play with (in school) I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 212pros, a pair of Sony MDR-XD200, Sennheiser MX-500s and as of tomorrow, Koss KSC-75s. I've seen all kinds of things that people use in this place, especially with their portable music devices.

b) Specifically, what does rewiring of the headphones accomplish? I would assume the obvious, better sound etc. But is it worth it? Also are there any good guides out there? This and modding of headphones has definately caught my interest so any info on mods would be appreciated as well.

c) When I hear clicks and pops occasionally is it more likely to be my computer's sound card (right now just using onboard sound), the mp3 itself, or damage to my headphones? I'm hoping it isnt the 3rd one because I think I've taken care of them pretty well, and it occurs on more than one pair. I also dont listen to music too loud.

Thanks everyone, hopefully this will help other newbies out there too!
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokpie
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and so far it has been great. Everyone is very helpful and so I was hoping I could get answers to a couple noobish questions. I figure I might as well get em all with one stone!

a) When starting up what should be my first step/upgrade? Right now I dont have anything special but by the same token dont have alot of money to play with (in school) I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 212pros, a pair of Sony MDR-XD200, Sennheiser MX-500s and as of tomorrow, Koss KSC-75s. I've seen all kinds of things that people use in this place, especially with their portable music devices.

b) Specifically, what does rewiring of the headphones accomplish? I would assume the obvious, better sound etc. But is it worth it? Also are there any good guides out there? This and modding of headphones has definately caught my interest so any info on mods would be appreciated as well.

c) When I hear clicks and pops occasionally is it more likely to be my computer's sound card (right now just using onboard sound), the mp3 itself, or damage to my headphones? I'm hoping it isnt the 3rd one because I think I've taken care of them pretty well, and it occurs on more than one pair. I also dont listen to music too loud.

Thanks everyone, hopefully this will help other newbies out there too!
biggrin.gif

Well, I think your first upgrade should be to a Grado SR60. Those are top notch cans, and very modifiable. Those you listed above are not specifically mentioned much for modification, but I've pulled apart and mucked around in an SR60 with very favorable results.

As for your PC sound, if it's happening on multiple pairs, it's your PC. Do you know what bitrate your MP3s are encoded at? You'd be advised to keep them above 224, for better quality. A lot of us keep ours at lossless. Personally, I don't keep them at lossless because I can hear the difference from a high compressed bitrate, but because I like to have a very high quality original copy at all times. Just in case I upgrade my gear, I don't want to re-rip everything. Does your PC have a soundcard? Or is it using the AC97 audio on the motherboard? Many motherboards can cause interferance with the audio signal, and AC97 is absolute crap compared to a dedicated card.

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 16
well

a) if you are happy with your gear, don't upgrade just because. Maybe you find it better to keep the money, invest it in something else, or invest in some gear other then headphones. If not, under $100 you have the Alessandro MS-1, Grados SR60/80 (but I think the 80s require an amp to be fully performant) and Senns hd555/595 (again the 595 when used, can be bought for arround $100).

b) rewiring does improve the sound quality, but before rewiring you should invest in a decent source and decent amp. Then you go to rewiring.

c) It can be the mp3 quality. Try with a cd. If the noise persists, then try listening to a cd in a cd player. If it still persists, then it's the headphones. But if you hear it with every pair of headphones you have, I think the cans are ruled out.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Well, I think your first upgrade should be to a Grado SR60. Those are top notch cans, and very modifiable. Those you listed above are not specifically mentioned much for modification, but I've pulled apart and mucked around in an SR60 with very favorable results.

As for your PC sound, if it's happening on multiple pairs, it's your PC. Do you know what bitrate your MP3s are encoded at? You'd be advised to keep them above 224, for better quality. A lot of us keep ours at lossless. Personally, I don't keep them at lossless because I can hear the difference from a high compressed bitrate, but because I like to have a very high quality original copy at all times. Just in case I upgrade my gear, I don't want to re-rip everything. Does your PC have a soundcard? Or is it using the AC97 audio on the motherboard? Many motherboards can cause interferance with the audio signal, and AC97 is absolute crap compared to a dedicated card.

I actually disagree about buying the SR60's. The are excellent cans, but in my opinion, not that much of an upgrade over the KSC75's. If you want true budget nirvana, get the KSC75's, a 75 ohm adapter and a cmoy amp and enjoy. If you want to spend a little more, go for the MS1's or maybe some AKG 240S's (make sure it's the "S" and not the "M") or even the Sennheiser HD555. And don't be afraid to buy used. You can find some great deals right here on the Head-Fi "For Sale" forums.

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 16
thanks guys

yeah, for mp3s that ive encoded myself bitrate is 256

and i am using onboard sound for now, haven't had time to install the soundcard i got.

Do you guys have any links to some easy, or good mods to do?

thanks

I'm also thinking about building a CMOY amp as a starter, good idea?

EDIT - tried to find some info on "75 ohm adapter" before asking but didnt find anything useful..so, what? lol thanks.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

thanks guys

yeah, for mp3s that ive encoded myself bitrate is 256

and i am using onboard sound for now, haven't had time to install the soundcard i got.

thanks

I can't tell for sure, But I'm 85% certain that it is your onboard audio doing that. Do you know who your motherboard manufacturer is? Oh, and if you're willing to spend some extra coin on truly high class cans at a great price, try the Sennheiser HD580. The prices on those are dropping like a rock.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut
Hey, don't call your mother names.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

How do the HD 500s compare to the 580s?

They don't. Aside from both saying Sennheiser on them, and the fact that they both are headphones, they have absolutely nothing in common.

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Sure, they look pretty easy (as long as you can solder) and what better satisfaction than listening to your own DIY amp for the first time.

Quote:

EDIT - tried to find some info on "75 ohm adapter" before asking but didnt find anything useful..so, what? lol thanks.

Well, Xin used to sell one but I don't see it on his site anymore. I think Kramer made his own and I bought mine from a fellow Head-Fi'er who makes DIY cables. I don't have enough technical expertise to explain how it works, I just know that it makes them sound even better. The bass and highs are more controlled and the mids are less recessed. Good stuff.
eggosmile.gif

Edit: Sinbios is selling some 75ohm adapters in the FS forum here.

Feb 2, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

This link is for a guide to build the cmoy. It's definately the best starter DIY amp. The website also has info on building other amps.
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

Check out the DIY area of Head-fi, you'll find plenty of info on modding phones and building amps, the person who created the cmoy guide posts there often. Also www.headwize.net is another forum for headphone users that seems to focus a lot on DIY projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back