Several ~ $150 Choices for headphones
Mar 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Xinze

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm considering to get a full-size pair of phones and I pretty much narrowed my choices to these few:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohms
Shure SRH-840
AKG-K172

All these headphones are around the same price, with AKG probably a bit cheaper, but that doesn't matter because I'm getting headphones as a gift and I get to choose.

Music I listen to is mainly dance/electronic/hip-hop with some Rock and a tiny bit of rap.. I have the monster turbines pro gold and I'm thinking about a pair of headphones that kind of contrast the sound of those if anyone get what I mean. 

I have a FiiO E6 AMP to drive these, so I really hope the high Ohm Beyers aren't an issue. Reviews say that the Beyers sound the best, but no offense to them, their pretty damn ugly and I don't know if the sound quality makes up for it's designing fail. Audio Technica/Shures look the best IMO, I'm not too stylish but being a teenager, the headphones have to look decent in public.

Bass is nice, I'm not a complete basshead but I don't think any of these headphones lack bass from reviews I've read. So can anyone that's Headphonely Wise give me a few words of advice?

Thanks in advance

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 30
I think the Shure would contrast your IEMs much more than the Beyers or M50. Never heard of those AKGs before so I can't comment on that. Are open headphones an option?

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 30
I think the Shure would contrast your IEMs much more than the Beyers or M50. Never heard of those AKGs before so I can't comment on that. Are open headphones an option?

He said they have to look decent in public so I'm assuming they're for portable use too (making open backed impossible).
I don't think the 250 ohm beyers would work well with the e6... I could be wrong but why not the 80 ohm?

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
He said they have to look decent in public so I'm assuming they're for portable use too (making open backed impossible).
I don't think the 250 ohm beyers would work well with the e6... I could be wrong but why not the 80 ohm?

Just that the 80s can't be found new on Amazon, but I would use another seller if they offered mfcs. warranty like amazon

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 30
If you want a good looking headphone that also has great sound quality, take a look at the Ultrasone HFi line. I own the 780s and am very pleased with their performance. If you want more bass then I recommend the 580s. Both of these cans can be easily driven, even unamped, and since you'll be using an e6, you'll be able to power them a bit better.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 30
just got the m-audio q40's in the post, and for the money i think they surpass all in your list, i just bought some beyer velour pads to improve comfort, but thats a personal thing, they seem to meet many if not all of your expectations, have solid construction, removable cord, and impecible sound quality - even unamped, but with your e6 they will improve in the bass and just all round, bass is the best around (search forums and you will see :wink: and well i cannot recommend enough! look them up around these forums, they are (relatively) unknown but are a gem amongst the favorites of the price catagory (m50, hfi-580, dt770). good luck!

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 30
There's just too many choices out there :/

It'll help if someone that's acoustically talented give a comparison of each of the headphones with cons and pros

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 30
Your first pair will be more of a gamble than others as you try and shape your sound preferences and refine your preferences (though you seem to have a decent idea of what you want)
I'm not sure how many people have heard all 4 of the ones you listed =\

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 30
I have the V-Moda crossfades right now, and I generally like the sound. But I'm upgrading my mp3 files to higher bitrates and some ALACS, and the lower bass is starting to distort like crazy, s I'm getting rid of them ASAP

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 30
Narrowed the choices down to Beyer 770s (80 Ohm), ATH-M50, and Shure 840s

Head-fi seems to agree that Beyers sound better than the ATH, but I really think they make me look like a doof.
ATH is famous, but I heard a few reviewers say that their not too good with electronic music, which is one of my mains.
Shures... I like the look of them :p

If anyone has some ideas, contribution would be greatly appreciated 

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 30
I've heard the Beyer, and owned both the M-50s and the Shure SRH840

I'd recommend the shure above the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back