Setup: Senn 600 plus Clou Red Plus OTL MG Head Preamp: Perfect???
Mar 8, 2002 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

merc

100+ Head-Fier
Yoda, look at title.....

Mar 8, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 13
Nothing's perfect
smily_headphones1.gif
. But based on my experiences of how interconnects affect a system, I'd recommend you not buy the cable and instead invest that money into a better amp, like a microZOTL ($750 new) or Melos SHA-1 (~$500-$600 used), if that's possible.

True, it's more money but I think that it's a better long-term stopping point. Of course, I'm biased
smily_headphones1.gif

But if you don't do that an MG-Head is a fine amplifier too.

Mar 8, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 13
Okay, Shivohum and others: What combo would you buy and fron where based on my already owned HD-600s plus:

a cable and an outbased power cable....

Mar 8, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

a cable and an outbased power cable....

Which cable? Do you already own the Clou red? And what is an outbased power cable?

Actually, it doesn't really matter. My recommendation is, as I said above, to first go for an excellent amplifier. That itself will make things wonderful. Buy that, keep it a few months, then worry about after-market cables. Anyway, there are new ones coming out onto the market for the HD600. You might want to wait for people to review them and then decide.

Mar 8, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 13
before you do anything .......listen to an MG Head Otl......just listen
tongue.gif
Headroom.com has some kind of return policy (30 days??) they will be carrying the Cardas and they already do carry the Clou

Mar 8, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 13
I've never heard a Micro ZOTL or a Melos, but I've tried a Max 01. I kept the MG Head OTL w/upgraded tubes. It is a bargain, In my opinion.

Lextek
cool.gif

Mar 8, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

I kept the MG Head OTL w/upgraded tubes.

But of course tube amps often have a fundamentally different sound than solid state amps. If you like one sound strongly, then even a very high-priced sample of the other may not be satisfactory...

Mar 8, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 13
Your right. Everyones ears are different. The Max was (is) awesome. But It was a $1600 amp vs. a $329 one. I guess I didn't hear the $1200+ difference.

Mar 11, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 13
merc, what cables you using for your mg head? Also what's your source?
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

merc, what cables you using for your mg head? Also what's your source?

jodokast: Right now, I am only using the stock Senn cables connected directly to the headphone output of my Sony 555es SACD player.

Mar 11, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 13
I do consider the MG Head OTL a bargain but to some extent, spend more still equals get more. If you have more money to spend there's almost always better. And if you get the best, there will still be better eventually.

If you can afford more, the Melos SHA-1 is definitely better than the MG Head OTL, IMO. And for a couple dollars more, the RKV is probably better with the SHA-1 with the HD600. And if you're still not maxed out, I'm told the Cary SEI is pretty worthy with that headphone.

If I upgrade cable, it will be to the Cardas. I'm not interested in hacked cables like the Clou. If I want that I'll build it myself. Do a web search for ven haus power cables when you're ready for that but unless you have real noise problems, save that for last.

For me personally, though the HD600 is growing on me, I'd not consider it "perfect" with any amp/cable combo. And I'd have to at least hear the Stax and Orpheus to even claim something to be the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back