Setup Question for 2.1 Computer Speaks
Aug 26, 2008 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ender137

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

On my quest to make a 2.1 system for my computer...

I'm looking at the back of a M&K mx-70 subwoofer. Anyway, I wanted to hook up this subwoofer to the Audioengine A2s or A5s (which I have yet to scrounge up money to buy). Now, if I buy the A5s, the setup is pretty easy since the A5s have a subwoofer rca output. But I was wondering whether it's possible to hook up this subwoofer to the A2s which do not have a subwoofer rca output.

According to the Audioengine manual, I can hook up a subwoofer to the A2s by sending the full signal to the subwoofer and then sending the speaker signals to the A2s...

This seems feasible on the mx-70 because it has a preamp rca input, a low pass filter, bass level, and speaker output.

So I have two questions...

1) Can I hook up the 1/8 stereojack to my line-out in the computer and hook up the other end of the wire (which would be rca) to the preamp rca input on the subwoofer?

2) Can I hook up the A2s (which take rca) to the speaker output on the subwoofer (which are spring terminals for speaker wires)? And if so, can I take rca wires, cut off one end, and hook up the wires into the spring terminals?

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender137
1) Can I hook up the 1/8 stereojack to my line-out in the computer and hook up the other end of the wire (which would be rca) to the preamp rca input on the subwoofer?

RCA preamp inputs on subwoofers are not designed to send through a full-range signal, so no. One input means that it's mono, and you'll only get the left channel's bass output from the stereo connection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender137
2) Can I hook up the A2s (which take rca) to the speaker output on the subwoofer (which are spring terminals for speaker wires)? And if so, can I take rca wires, cut off one end, and hook up the wires into the spring terminals?

No, because speaker-level and line-level signals are different.

----

AudioEngine's setups are non-standard. It's not clear what the signal level is at any given stage. The only way I could see this working is by sending the full-range signal to the subwoofer, then to the speakers, as they say. However, this won't work if the subwoofer only has a mono input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back