Setup Improvement
Jan 10, 2017 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gbiagini97

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, it's been a while since i wrote on this forum, mainly because I was so happy with the "dt770 pro 80omh + fiio e17" combo you suggested me here.
My 2016 Christmas present was a pair of Fostex t50rp new model mk3, and I do love them with the music I'm listening right now. Also, i changed the pads that hurted me so much with some Hybrids from Brainwavz.
My main concern right now is "Does the little Fiio bring out the best from my headphones?"
I, kinda, did the math around that and seems like my new "cheap" planars need a bit more power. I used this guide http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html and the xls file in it to get the millwatts i need. Seems like I need around 400mw to reach the loudness I like, and I think that my beloved Alpen can't quite help me in driving these cans.

I don't really need the portability, because I pretty much always use it at home, so I'd like to upgrade my little setup with a new amp.
From what I know, I can't use the e17 as "only dac" so I will be using the inbuilt dac from my pc (I know the specs if needed).

Do you have any suggestions for an amp/amp+dac for around 150€?
I was interested in the Schiit Magni 2 but I'd love to hear what you think guys!

Thanks in advance
Have a great day
Gabriele

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 7
400 mW is a lot of power for your T50RP's. According to the spreadsheet, at 110 dB SPL (rock concert levels), you need about 63 mW. Listen to anything at 110 dB SPL for an hour and you're going to encounter some hearing loss. If you need to turn up your headphones that loud all the time, then you need to get your ears checked. Seriously.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 7
  400 mW is a lot of power for your T50RP's. According to the spreadsheet, at 110 dB SPL (rock concert levels), you need about 63 mW. Listen to anything at 110 dB SPL for an hour and you're going to encounter some hearing loss. If you need to turn up your headphones that loud all the time, then you need to get your ears checked. Seriously.

Sorry, I'm just new to this kind of things!  Now I checked more info from the site I liked before, and I did the math again

Do you have any suggestions for the amp?

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 7
You've got a hard budget to work with. I'm not too enamored with the Schiit sound, but you may have a different opinion. I'm also located in the US, so the amps I suggest may not be easy to get where you live. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a used CIAudio VHP-2 or HeadAmp Pico Power. I've never listened to the Darkvoice so I can't offer any insight there.

I owned the VHP-1 (the previous version to the VHP-2) and found it to sound well balanced and engaging. I also own a HeadAmp Pico amp/DAC. While the Pico Power is a different circuit design, I also prefer HeadAmp's house sound to Schiit. I think either would offer more refinement than the Magni or Asgard. Whenever I listen to a Schiit-based system, I typically find it to have your garden variety 'hi-fi' character with the upper midrange / lower treble somewhat accentuated to produce a detail-oriented sound. It's exciting at first, but I'd rather have something more 'natural' sounding.

Of course, these are all just one man's opinion. Try to go to some Head-Fi meets and judge for yourself. Hope this helps!

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm from Italy, and the amps you named, are impossible to find right here!
Because of this, I kinda wanted something more "commercial" (pass me the term), in order to have somewhat of after-buy support.

Thanks for your inputs!

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 7
I see - quickly checking Amazon.it, I think you should also consider the Rega Ear. I know it's outside your budget, but I've heard their components before and they sounded quite good. It's a British company, so if you need warranty service at least they're in the same geographic region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back