Setup help and DAC recommendations
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FallenCow

New Head-Fier
I recently picked up a pair of Denon D7000s and have been in the process of researching amps and DACs. I want to be able to switch between using headphones and my speakers. Here's my current setup:

Auzentech Prelude -> Yamaha receiver (HTR-6090) -> Emotiva AMP -> Speakers (Sierra-1)

The speakers still need to go through the receiver since my game consoles are hooked up to it. This is how i envisioned the new setup:

Auzentech Prelude -> DAC output1 -> receiver -> Emotiva AMP -> Speakers
Auzentech Prelude -> DAC output2 (or split from single output) -> headphone amp -> Denon D7000

What are my options for getting sound out to a headphone amp? If I need a DAC to do that, what would some recommendations be? I will pick up a separate headphone amp in the near future, but I can live with a DAC/AMP combo until I pick up an amp (provided that the DAC section has good bang for the buck). My budget is around $500 for a DAC give or take, but I can swing something nicer, like a DAC1, if it's highly recommended.
Want to get the most out of my gear, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 7
since you're using your receiver as a preamp, just make all the connections into the receiver, and pipe your headphone amp through the record out/tape monitor. You'll also only need one DAC (and use only one output of your card as well)

Also, your receiver's DAC is likely inferior to a standalone unit, and if you have $500 to spend, that can be a huge stepup

just my $.02

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 7
So i wouldn't need to output directly from the DAC to the headphone amp? The record out/tape out will have no affect on the sound (a pass-through essentially)?

Is the DAC in the Prelude decent or would it make a world of difference to step up to a dedicated DAC (like a DacMagic)?

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 7
the record out is essentially a passthrough, yes. Just put your input in anything BUT the tape input and it will be able to output through the tape out

If you're sending a digital signal to your receiver, you're bypassing the Prelude's internal DAC. See how you like it with a 1/8" jack to RCA into an Analog input of your receiver. (the Prelude may/may not sound better than the Yamaha)

Someone else can comment on the upgrade from the prelude to DACmagic (as I haven't heard either), but when I went from an HTomega Stryker to my Pioneer Elite receiver (coax out of HTomega) to my Music Hall DAC25.2 (through USB) it was completely night and day each time. Just getting the actual D-A conversion out of your computer should make a world of difference, not to mention the DACmagic is a greatly rated audiophile related product.

I also found a great improvement when i utilized the USB input of the DAC25.2 vs. sending a digital coax signal from the HTomega (due to less jitter probably) Your mileage may vary.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Also, if you havent already, do a few searches on setting up your music player. If you are on an XP setup, you'll get a free great improvement by setting up kernel streaming or ASIO streaming.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by acold7dusta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you havent already, do a few searches on setting up your music player. If you are on an XP setup, you'll get a free great improvement by setting up kernel streaming or ASIO streaming.

I have a setup guide bookmarked so I'm definitely going to do that once everything is in place.

Right now I have the Prelude hooked up to the receiver via optical out. Am I correct to assume that the receiver still acts as a DAC even when DD Live is selected as the output method?

Also, how would going through a DAC affect games that utilize EAX?

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Yes you are correct in that the receiver is acting as the DAC, even when DD live is selected (it's enabling the receiver's option).

EAX won't be enabled unless the DAC supports this. You'll still get great sound without EAX, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back