Setup for under $400
Nov 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jnesses

New Head-Fier
I want to start a system from scratch, but I don't know where to start.  I know almost nothing about what speakers/cables/etc. I need.  I currently have a computer with a soundcard I could use, but that's about it. 

Thanks,

Joseph

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 5
For that sort of money, you could get active monitor speakers. There are lots of good options out there from M Audio, Mackie, Audioengine. You should be able to find a lot of info on these. These have the amplification built in, so there is no need for a seperate amp. Just plug them into your sound card like you would a regular computer speaker, only these will sound much better.

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 5
At that budget, you should consider active speakers like jilgiljongiljing said.

The Audioengine A5s at $325 seem to be well liked (I haven't heard them).
No need to buy a separate amp with active speakers.

In addition to Audioengine, Mackie and MAudio there's also KRK.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 5
you may get the best bang for the buck, and easier setup (and less space req.) with active speakers, as you just need to connect them to the pc.

otherwise you could look into the new Pioneer Home Theater and Music Speaker line. the floor-standers (SP-FS51) are just $199, and you could get a used receiver/amp for $150-200. or check Yamaha new selection of entry-level products - the A-S300 int. amp. is about £200 (not sure what's in the US) - Yamaha(USA) only displays the A-S500 yet (?). as for cables Bluejeans has everything you need.

eventually you could end up with a pretty awesome full 7.1 HT system. anyway, audition is recommended for either active or passive speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back