Setup for two headphones that require amp and one computer
Mar 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #17 of 25
No. You'll be publicly electrocuted with speaker taps off an amp.
biggrin.gif

Lucky for me that I have dry skin and my impedance is too high for speaker taps to zap me. This will take an amp suitable for electrostatics.
I wonder, do you feel comfortable strapping headphones onto your head that requires over 100 V to drive? 
eek.gif
 What happens if you sweat?

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #18 of 25
I wonder, do you feel comfortable strapping headphones onto your head that requires over 100 V to drive? :eek:  What happens if you sweat?

I haven't even thought about buying electrostatics. I want to substantially upgrade my home audio speaker setup, which requires a lot of money.

But no. I don't really want to strap 110v on my head connected to an amp that could give me shock treatments. :eek:

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #19 of 25
I haven't even thought about buying electrostatics. I want to substantially upgrade my home audio speaker setup, which requires a lot of money.

But no. I don't really want to strap 110v on my head connected to an amp that could give me shock treatments.
eek.gif

I top flight electrostatic setup is almost like buying a small car. I'll stick to planar magnetics.
A couple of weeks ago I had a Y cable connecting my Schiit UberFrost USB2 to a Magni and Asgard 2 then to an A/B switch to headphones so that I could compare amps.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #20 of 25
Hey guys!  I appreciate your advices however I am not too keen with the technicality of audiophile lingo.  Forgive me!   I'm starting to know the basic such as damping, impedance output on an amp, sound signature of tube vs solid state.  You guys had me lost with the lingo and electrical stuffs. LOL  So basically it seems like the most of you think it's better that I get 2 amps with a Y-connector attach to a USB DAC rather than getting a headphone splitter with separate volume control for 2 headphones and 1 computer.  Correct??  Could you guys explain in layman term why getting two amps is better?  (Or other method of setup?? ) I know that a headphone splitter would produce less volume but I can just turn up the amp's volume. Does it deteriorate the sound when I do that?   

In addition, I got lost with goodvibes' suggestion when he said about isolating a load by putting "resistor in series" in one of the amp.  Does it means adding some resistors internally to my amp??  I'm just curious what goodvibes is saying.   Also, I'm not sure does 20-1 means the ratio for input impedance and output impedance?   Sorry goodvibes if I had to put you on the spot. 

Quote:
  Beyond that it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a resistor in series with one of the amps to isolate loads a bit. Something like at least 100 ohms up to 1k ohms depending on input impedance. Try to stay at leat 20-1 relative to input impedance and even lower values will help. Subtle difference but generally audible and the resistor won't hurt anything except a slight change in gain on whichever amp it's fronting. Ask Shiit about it and see what they think. I'd suspect Mike Moffat would agree though not a huge deal. 

I heard a Gungnir the other day. Kinda better than real in a good way, LOL. Mike can still voice things.

And lastly, StanD suggested that I get a Schiit Magni 2.  What benefit would I have if I get the Uber model that has a pre-amp?  Does it means that I could connect another amp for more volume?    Sorry for being a Newbie!  :/
  You are better off with two amps and a Y cable as they two cans have different impedances and sensitivities, Take a look at the Schiit Magni 2 amp,possibly the Uber option if you find the preamp out useful.
You can get an audio switch to select between the DAC output and the computer output and connect the Y cable to the switch.

Thanks guys for your patience and understanding!  It was a bit intimidating to read your technical know-how and advices.  I hope to be more knowledgeable like you someday!

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #21 of 25

And lastly, StanD suggested that I get a Schiit Magni 2.  What benefit would I have if I get the Uber model that has a pre-amp?  Does it means that I could connect another amp for more volume?    Sorry for being a Newbie!  :/

The Uber has a drop more power and a slightly better SNR which is something human beings could not tell the difference. Great for test equipment and bragging rights.
The Preamp Out is good for connecting to powered speakers (they have their own power amps built in). If you don't need this then the Uber may not be necessary.

If you get a Modi 2 Uber then you might want to get the Magni 2 Uber so that the finishes of the cabinets match.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 25
Thanks StanD for your recommendation.  Will definitely consider the Uber model when I have more money save up.  At the meantime, I think I will use a headphone splitter until I can get another amp!  :)

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #23 of 25
  That answer mean that you can't accept the truth about human limitations? 
rolleyes.gif

Or the infallibility of measurements? Whether I agreed with your statement or not, it doesn't take 4 seconds to hook up a 2nd 20k ohm amp to a 50 ohm output, which I've done on kit much higher quality than being discussed.
tongue_smile.gif
 I couldn't care less if you personally think a subtle change is conceivable or not, however, I was being polite about the matter. These crusades get tedious. I admitted it was (only) a suggestion without scientific foundation but it's been very repeatable for me. I hesitated to suggest same as I knew the witch hunt would begin. Look guys, just chill, I didn't speak in the absolutes you do. Might be worth a try, or not if you don't care to. I didn't make an all encompassing statement that will be repeated as some new law. LOL.

I'm not going to investigate further because my results are real world but consider the nonreactive remark more carefully. I would think considerably less reactive would be more correct with cables, connections, feedback loops etc involved. The opposed thinking is of the same school that believes cables can't sound different. I do, you may not. No biggy. I don't think anyone assumes things sound different when the fellow presenting a suggestion prefaces his statement with, it shouldn't differ so see if you hear something. I'll PM the author and he can report back if he tries it. No biggy one way or the other and we all agree that a y to 2 amps is the way to go.

Have your bliss mocking me. Hope you find it fulfilling. I'm out.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #24 of 25
@goodvibes I would consider your remark to me on the first page as seen below as mocking of which I responded. It's in sequence on page 1. In any case I did not loose sleep over it. No you will not convince me about this or other cables, of which you are entitled to enjoy or not.
"Yes, ink and probes are much more perceptive.
rolleyes.gif
"

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #25 of 25
These crusades get tedious.

I agree. Maybe you should stop crusading against what audio science teaches us. :wink:

I'm not going to investigate further because my results are real world but consider the nonreactive remark more carefully. I would think considerably less reactive would be more correct with cables, connections, feedback loops etc involved. The opposed thinking is of the same school that believes cables can't sound different. I do, you may not.

You should study the "opposing school" a bit more then to understand it better. There is tons of scientific evidence to support that you will hear a difference in sighted testing. But that doesn't mean the difference is real because human perception is easily biased, despite your claim of the superiority of your "real world" experience.

And so while there can be room in science to believe that measurements may not always tell the whole story (skepticism is part of science after all), one must also accept that subjective evaluations in much "real world" consumer audio home testing are unreliable, instead of insisting that audible differences exist as you did in post #3 of this thread. One should be able to doubt their own infallibility if claiming that science is fallible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back