Setup for Computer games: The quest begin
Nov 8, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
They're not, I dunno why the scale on the side is so much. The site where I got that from has other graphs that match up with graphs from headroom which doesn't use such a gigantic scale. Disregard the numbers on the side.
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif
ok, it's still a pretty graph
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 28
Excelent forum, with excelent "conoiceurs"
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
DT770 all the way, but you'll need to amp it. IMO, it's worth the amping costs, especially since you can get good results with a rather inexpensive PA2V2 or equivalent amp.

I'm using a DT770/80 with the MG Head OTL tube amp. This combo is way overboard in terms of bass for most kinds of music, but for gaming and movies it absolutely works wonders. HUGE soundstage with MASSIVE bass and plenty of detail. Tube amps in general have really suberb reproduction of midrange and high frequencies - very detailed but very smooth and liquid sounding, without any fatigue whatsoever. I can play games all day long with the system and not have any ear fatigue at all.

The only knock in that system is tonal balance - you want a recessed midrange with a forward bass and treble for games, and this system has a more forward midrange and a quieter treble (yes, I actually got a DT770 to have a forward midrange with no eq
eek.gif
). But, with most solid-state amps, the DT770 has exactly the right sound signature for games.

I've used the A900, HD590, HD600, HD650, DT770, and on a not-so-sober evening, SR-001 and SR-404 for games, and the DT770 wins in my books. What really sets it apart is the accurate 3d sound placement - you hear exactly where your opponent is on the map in an FPS. The Senns also have an accurate 3d sound placement, but their treble is rather recessed for gaming purposes, and tends to mask important sounds (except the 590, which is great for games). If you don't plan on amping, get the A900, and if you want an open headphone, get the HD595 or HD590.

You know, when searching the prices, i checked that the 250 ohm version was cheaper in 30-40$ +-, and i wonder: why not go this route and get an amp?
I kept searching, and i read that SS amps are required for gaming, being recomended the LDM+, i wonder if its true (or its cost: still got to check )

But with an amp, should i still get the 80 ohm version?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
All mp3's are compressed, but if they sound good to you, then they are good!

So what is it?
biggrin.gif

I really meant that some sotfware that makes the mp3, use low-quality, low-cpu usage, and the music gets badder than with good codecs. Right now they sound good for me, but will they still sound good with a good headphone?
Only testing
basshead.gif

So, for budjet ERM... for now i'll just get the headphone, and in a few months i'll get the amp, an amp for like... 200$ maybe? something like that!

And thanks again for all your help
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by satanicoo
Excelent forum, with excelent "conoiceurs"
icon10.gif

You know, when searching the prices, i checked that the 250 ohm version was cheaper in 30-40$ +-, and i wonder: why not go this route and get an amp?
I kept searching, and i read that SS amps are required for gaming, being recomended the LDM+, i wonder if its true (or its cost: still got to check )

But with an amp, should i still get the 80 ohm version?

I really meant that some sotfware that makes the mp3, use low-quality, low-cpu usage, and the music gets badder than with good codecs. Right now they sound good for me, but will they still sound good with a good headphone?
Only testing
basshead.gif

So, for budjet ERM... for now i'll just get the headphone, and in a few months i'll get the amp, an amp for like... 200$ maybe? something like that!

And thanks again for all your help
smily_headphones1.gif

80ohm one should work well without amplifier, but it sounds better with one.

250ohm version is even more bassier than 80ohm version, so i think 80ohm version is better route to go.

If your music is around 192kbps, they will sound good. Its extremely hard to hear difference between 192kbps made with good codec and original.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by satanicoo
-Sound stage
I think this is the expression! What i want is the headphones exacly tell me WHERE is the caracter! I want to know if someone who is walking is 10 feets on the south right, or 13 feet right behind me, etc. I want to really detect where my enemy is.

Almost any set of Sennheisers would be great for directional sound like that. The general consensus among serious gamers is that the HD555's are the best for gaming and they're incredibly popular at the CPL.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 28
If you're looking for bass, the 580s are a better choice. Bigger soundstage for 3d audio too. The 580s,555s, and 595s are the most popular with gamers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiJon89
Almost any set of Sennheisers would be great for directional sound like that. The general consensus among serious gamers is that the HD555's are the best for gaming and they're incredibly popular at the CPL.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

They're not, I dunno why the scale on the side is so much. The site where I got that from has other graphs that match up with graphs from headroom which doesn't use such a gigantic scale. Disregard the numbers on the side.

Can u post a link to this site?

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #22 of 28
Nov 14, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #27 of 28
Guys, i have to bother you again.

I am not going to invest in an amp for this phones at least for now, but later i will look for it.
I need your recomendation in amps at several prices:

-50$ : LDM+
-100$: I dont know
-200$: HeadFive
-400$: Heed

And lets stick to 400$
biggrin.gif

Just want to hear your opinion at every price range.

And the connection Xtreme music - Amp, what cable should i use?

Thanks all
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #28 of 28
I dont know if you can use it, but was in the same situation as you.

I want relative high end head-fi but with the "best bang for the buck" feeling.
Another thing i desire is comfyness and a good design.

I use my headphones for both games, music and movies.

I ended up buying the following components for my system.

***X-FI with X-RAM***
I chose this primarly because i want the CMSS and OpenAL support together with a good quality sound.
EAX 5.0 and all its features dosn't mean that much to me.
(only reason i chose X-RAM was that XM and Platinium seems to have problems with nvidia4 systems)

***HQ Clicktronic minijack to Phono***
Just a decent cable on par with ProfiGold, SkyTec, Bandridge, TechLink.

***CORDA Headfive***
You cant beat the value on that unit, and it's design fits my cans.
Another + is that its not a tube amp, so you dont have to replace tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

***Beyerdynamic 990 DT 2005***
Primarly chosen due the the fact the people described them as a great fun can with a good bass and comfortness.
And i love the design.

I dont know if this is any help at all, but thats the result i got from my "head-fi craving".

/Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back