Setup for around $450
Oct 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Big Bird

New Head-Fier
So I'm now looking to upgrade from my Audio Techinca M50s which I've had over two years.

I'm looking for a set of open cans, along with an amp if needed. DAC not needed.

I listen to a lot rock music, ambient electronic, and a bit of hip hop.

I'd prefer something that is not bass heavy as my m50s are quite fine in that category.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 10
There are lots of choices but I'm going to throw Hifiman HE-400 out there. They are killer for rock -- the sound is extremely fast and precise, with lots of weight but no bloat. Guitars have serious crunch and aggression out of them, drums and cymbals sound very alive. They are strong in the bass, but it's an extremely clean, accurate, precise bass. Tons of depth and slam, but it does not exaggerate the bass. An amp would be ideal for them, but I was shocked at how good they sound unamped. They are very sensitive. I'd listen to them unamped for a while, then get an amp once you feel the need. 

Another choice is Grado. I have the HE-400 and haven't heard Grados, but they are commonly recommended for rock. They have a very large following and shouldn't need an amp. SR225 is considered the sweet spot of the line. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 10
I can run them easily from my iPad with the volume at 40-50%. I don't have a macbook pro, but that should give you some reference. Most people who use the HE-400 use them with an amp (I do as well). Even though they sound great unamped, they do sound better with an amp. An amp really brings out their best. But they still sound pretty darn good with no amp. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 10
  So I'm now looking to upgrade from my Audio Techinca M50s which I've had over two years.
I'm looking for a set of open cans, along with an amp if needed. DAC not needed.
I listen to a lot rock music, ambient electronic, and a bit of hip hop.
I'd prefer something that is not bass heavy as my m50s are quite fine in that category.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, $200-$230
Fiio E10, USB-DAC-Amp. $70-$76.
Just plug the E10 into the Mac's USB port and the AD900x into the E10's headphone jack.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, they are at the top end of your price range. A few other suggestions to consider. These are all under $300. 

AKG Q701 (I own this one) -- Very balanced with a gigantic soundstage. Bass is accurate and deep but doesn't have a lot of impact. Midrange and highs are excellent. Requires an amp without a doubt (the amp doesn't need to be expensive, but a laptop won't cut it). 

Beyerdynamic DT880 -- Haven't heard so can't comment, but generally considered to be balanced and neutral. I owned the DT-990, which is its bassier sibling. 

Hifiman HE-300 -- Again, haven't heard. This is the cheapest full size Hifiman can. It's not a planar magnetic design like the HE-400, but some people really like it. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 10
  The Q 701 has been at the top of my list for quite some time, so if you can give me an example of a good amp for it around $100 i'd buy it

Schiit Magni
Fiio E09K
For tubes, Little Dot 1+

I used an 18v JDS Labs Cmoy with it, which is even cheaper. It worked fine, but I had to turn up the volume knob relatively high. I use a Little Dot Mk3 now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back