Setup for a beginner who wants the "best"?
Jun 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Anders86

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers,

I've been following this forum for a while (actually since I bought my Dynaudio Xeo 3 and experienced how music is supposed to sound - at least compared to my old Altec Lansing computer speakers, which is pretty much all I've had so far! 
eek.gif
).

However, now I'm getting quite keen on the headphone business as well and I think I've settled on Denon's D7000 along with the Yulong D100 Mark II. I'm not much into the technicalities - I just want something that looks very nice as part of my living room while at the same time sound amazing, so I hope this will do. What do you think? 
L3000.gif

Anyway, I have a few beginner questions that I can't seem to find the answers to anywhere else. One is whether I will be able to control the volume from i.e. my computer when it is coupled to the Yulong with a USB cable? And will it effect the sound-quality in any way that the USB cable is long, so I can drag my computer around the living room without having to keep the Yulong-box close?

Thanks guys! 

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi. Nice first setup you've got planned there.

You will be able to control the volume from your PC if you just plug the D100 into your PC, but it recommended that you set the D100 in exclusive mode and use a WASAPI or ASIO plugin in your media player to output sound for best sound quality. This will lock the volume controls on your PC and force you to use the volume controls on the Yulong.

I haven't noticed a SQ difference between a 2 foot and a 10 foot USB cable. I doubt a length difference would be noticeable unless you're trying to actively go past the USB standards restrictions on length (about 15 ft on a USB 2.0 connection). See here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 7
or have the cable running in parallel with the power mains. 

But nice Rig. I wouldn't control the sound from your PC.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Alright, thank you very much guys! It's much appreciated 
redface.gif

I'm considering using my Apple Airport express to stream music from my laptop instead of using a USB-cable. However, my Dynaudio's are using the optical output already - can I use an optical splitter, and will it have a negative effect on the quality?

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 7
Alright, thank you very much guys! It's much appreciated 
redface.gif

I'm considering using my Apple Airport express to stream music from my laptop instead of using a USB-cable. However, my Dynaudio's are using the optical output already - can I use an optical splitter, and will it have a negative effect on the quality?

Much better idea. And good question, in curious too

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 7
I would suggest a ODA + ODAC over the Yulong D100 series. Perhaps you should also look at the W1000x against the D7000.

A ODA + ODAC and a W1000x is on the similar level to a D7000 + Yulong D100 MKII, as well as being cheaper.

About volume control, I'm not sure if I know what your asking but normally you leave your PC volume at 100% and you change the volume via the unit. It is possible to have the unit volume knob at half way length and then control the volume via the volume mixer instead on your PC.

Personally I'm not a believer of cables affecting sound so I can't comment on that.

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Optical is already pretty touchy and it 'just depends' if you can split it or not but I'm guessing not.  From what I've seen Apple optical transmitters are pretty weak. I can split the signal (or split into a signal) from my oppo with no issues whatsoever but i've never been able to go through a splitter with my appleTV.  Also there is a very large difference in sound between the oppo and appleTV (which I'm guessing sounds like an apple express).  also all apple products limit outputs to 16/44 so if you use hi-res files (which you may not) then you'd never be able to take advantage of them anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back