setup emu 0404 usb for headphone listening
Feb 16, 2009 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hesher

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have the EMU 0404 USB setup with a headphone amp and a akg 701.

I'm using foobar + asio to listen to music.
My question is mainly - How should I set up the emu 0404 to listen to music?
I'm reffering mainly to all the knobs and buttons (Preamps, the "48v on" button and the direct monitor)

I'm a bit lament in terms of technicalities but I would like to squeeze the best out of my setup.
My headphone-amp is connected to the regular output from the 0404.

BTW - I'm using only the bauer s-to-b dsp in foobar and listen mostly to flac or VBR V0 (lame setup).

Thanks y'all!!

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 12
Using ASIO is the first necessary step, then you need two 1/4" to RCA cables (for stereo) and put the RCA into your headphone amp. finished. Volume set to full (both in PC and on 0404USB) and control volume with your amp (you can use 0404USB for this, as it's also analogue, but the volume control on the amp is possibly better). You can turn all the extra options off, but it shouldn't affect the sound.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Hesher,have you tried to listen to those K701 out of the EMU 0404 headphone amplifier? do you notice a big difference with your other amp? Just being curious here.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 12
There's a definite difference.
I can hear more crisp detail with my amp (I'm using an amplifier that claims to be completely transparent).

It's interesting to hear opinions of other people of course, but I think that an amplifier of high quality will probably beat the internal amp of the 0404.

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hesher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AQUA made by HEAD.
It's hand-made by some local guy.
link to his shop - AQUA - Order items online

Interesting. All the way out of Israel, no wonder I haven't heard of this amp before.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 12
Is it possible to use the SPIDF out from my soundcard to connect the 0404? I thought I read somewhere that it only worked in certain circumstances.

If not, do I use a mini to dual TS cable?

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 12
48v is phantom power for microphone- you don't need that for headphone listening. Same goes for direct monitor unless you are not using your PC as source(usb) but lets say a CD layer(spdif). So theres nothing you can press on the EMU that will make the sound better if I'm literate in expression. Use ASIO as suggested. personally I never liked 0404 usb's amp very much, it wasn't bad but it was dead, boring to listen to.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtostenr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to use the SPIDF out from my soundcard to connect the 0404? I thought I read somewhere that it only worked in certain circumstances.

If not, do I use a mini to dual TS cable?

It works but its too much hassle to set up and it will only work with music, in games you will get no sound. I needed two years to find out how to make spdif work with a PC.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Well, I realized that I could just use the USB connection for sound, so I can at least listen to music now. Would there be any advantage to using the analog inputs instead of USB? I would have to hack together a cable unless anyone knows where to get a mini to dual 1/4" cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back