settled on DT770's...
Apr 9, 2007 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

punkrocker5817

New Head-Fier
been spending a while trying to decide which headphones to go for. I decided that after reading many reviews, my best bet is to just get a pair and if I dont like them try something else. I'm going for the DT770's. I know they're $250 on headphone.com but I'm sure they're cheaper elsewhere. I'm using my Denon DRA 775RD to drive them for the time being.

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 23
Many would say that the best sounding model of all the DT 770s is the DT 770 Pro/80, which costs much less than the Premium line headphones. I owned the DT 770 Pro/80, and think they were really good headphones.

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 23
The DT770 2005 edition is much cheaper than $250 at TTVJ.com. Not sure if I can say how much because it's an unadvertised price. You just have to click the "send me your best price" thingy, put in your email address, and in like 5 minutes you'll have the price quote.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 23
ebay. i forget the guy's name, but you can usually buy it for ~$150 shipped

it was "guitarinsider" or something of the like.

someone else here should know

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 23
Larry, over at Headphile.com, is selling them for $140 (the pro/80 version)... of course you'll have to get them Darthed (another $200 or "so")... you're gonna get there anyways, it's inevitability.

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chroot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy them locally at your neighborhood Guitar Center for $200.

- Warren

do you know if guitar center ever has any demo units of their phones out? It doesn't seem like they'd expect people to buy expensive cans w/o hearing them, especially since you can demo any instrument you want.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkrocker5817 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you know if guitar center ever has any demo units of their phones out? It doesn't seem like they'd expect people to buy expensive cans w/o hearing them, especially since you can demo any instrument you want.

My guitar center keeps a pair of 770/80's out for demo as well as some akg's. I would bet they would let you listen to anything that you can eassily open, because they seem to get a little ticked off about returns...at least at my local store. Take your own music though. They only had some ambient crap to demo.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 23
I went to a Guitar Center to test them out once. It was their last pair. The guy took them out of the box, asked me if I wanted to use my source (which I didn't have at the time), then let me try it out on one of their sources.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

been spending a while trying to decide which headphones to go for. I decided that after reading many reviews, my best bet is to just get a pair and if I dont like them try something else. I'm going for the DT770's.

770s, especially the Pro 80 version, are a safe bet. Assuming you buy them off eBay or similar for $150, you should be able to get most of your money back by re-selling them here. Or look in the F/S forums in the first place and buy there - there are always 770s changing hands.

Without anything in your profile or any mention of what you want to use them for/what sources you use/what music you like it is hard to say whether the 770 is right for you. However, I've had a pair for two weeks and they are quickly becoming my go-to cans for everything except for acoustic and classical music (for that, I use the 580s and sometimes AKG 240.) They represent great value, are well built, and are just a ton of fun to listen to with no significant shortcomings. I love their crisp, clean presentation, precise (but not very wide) headstage, and of course, deep, tuneful bass.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 23
Good choice with the beyers!
basshead.gif

Hope you enjoy them for years to come!

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cebseb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, over at Headphile.com, is selling them for $140 (the pro/80 version)... of course you'll have to get them Darthed (another $200 or "so")... you're gonna get there anyways, it's inevitability.

I like this option. Darth beyers are so much better then stock beyers

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

sorry, but what are Darth Beyers? I'm still getting the 770's. I'm looking at used ones. Found a pair of 80 ohms. Hoping to get a good price. How long is the cable on the 770's, btw?

The cable is fairly long... Should be enough for most applications.

A darth beyer is what people call the headphile modded DT770pro's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back