Settings windows to 24bit 96000hz.
Jul 16, 2011 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Malrick

New Head-Fier
I was just wondering if setting my soundcard's (X-Fi USB HD) default format to 96000hz instead of 48000hz would mess with the quality/positioning of in-game audio? I don't have any of the cards enhancements turned on (Surround/Crystalizer, etc.) because most games have stereo "surround" positioning programming into them, and the enhancements only mess it up or cause it to sound more "open".

Anyways, I've had my sound card set to 24bit 96000hz (for watching Blurays) and I was wondering if that settings was causing my games to be changed in any way. I'm pretty sure most games are recorded as 48000hz; but if my card is set to 96000 I'm always worried that it may mess with the designers intended positioning of the audio cues, or the overall "feel" of the atmosphere in the game. Does anyone know anything about this?

Any help is appreciated! :D Thankyou! 

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 2

Quote:
I was just wondering if setting my soundcard's (X-Fi USB HD) default format to 96000hz instead of 48000hz would mess with the quality/positioning of in-game audio? I don't have any of the cards enhancements turned on (Surround/Crystalizer, etc.) because most games have stereo "surround" positioning programming into them, and the enhancements only mess it up or cause it to sound more "open".

Anyways, I've had my sound card set to 24bit 96000hz (for watching Blurays) and I was wondering if that settings was causing my games to be changed in any way. I'm pretty sure most games are recorded as 48000hz; but if my card is set to 96000 I'm always worried that it may mess with the designers intended positioning of the audio cues, or the overall "feel" of the atmosphere in the game. Does anyone know anything about this?

Any help is appreciated! :D Thankyou! 

Best way to find it out is to try it by yourself.

IIRC, that USB audio interface has 48kHz as native sr so, there is always sr conversion needed if the source audio sr is <> 48kHz --> for music it would be 'bout the same effect if you switch the default sr to 96kHz ... (result depends on of the src quality) .

jiiteepee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back