Settings to use on realtek alc 892?
Dec 6, 2022 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

d4free

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently got myself a dt 880 premium (250) as I got tired of my previous headsets.

Plugged into the speakers, they sound boring and not really good for music, but I purchased it because of it being comfortable.

After some reading I purchased jds atom labs amp and planning to use it on my pc with a z87x d3h motherboard which has alc 892.

When I go into the driver settings I don't see a line out option. I have digital outpout and a seperate digital output (optical), but no simple line out.

Can I just use the headphone setting in the realtek driver and connect it with a 3.5mm jack?

Or will this cause some issues like "double amping" as someone said on another forum which I found after some googling.

P.s. I don't have the budget to buy a dac.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 14
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 14
Realtek ALC892 is an older Realtek audio processor (with built in DAC function).
Suggest getting an external (USB) DAC.
https://hifimediy.com/product-category/dacs/ready-made-dacs/?min_price=20&max_price=160&q=/product-category/dacs/ready-made-dacs/
Oh.. Well, currently out of budget.. I have just put the settings in the driver as "headphones" and plugged it into the green socket.
My sennheiser game one sounded more fun with nicer bass, but I could just not wear it, gave too much headache. At least the dt880 I can wear.

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 14
Nobody here will recommend using the analog lineout of a motherboard.

Does the amp give at least improve the bass/overall sound?
Does the new headphone + amp sound better on another device with a good dac?

Is the sennheiser game a analog, usb or wireless headphone?

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Oh.. Well, currently out of budget.. I have just put the settings in the driver as "headphones" and plugged it into the green socket.
My sennheiser game one sounded more fun with nicer bass, but I could just not wear it, gave too much headache. At least the dt880 I can wear.
My two cents.
To feed the best signal (best guess), from the ALC892, to the Atom.
Set the motherboard Realtek audio to 2-channel and speaker out.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Nobody here will recommend using the analog lineout of a motherboard.

Does the amp give at least improve the bass/overall sound?
Does the new headphone + amp sound better on another device with a good dac?

Is the sennheiser game a analog, usb or wireless headphone?
The sennheiser is analog.

The dt880 does sound better with the amp, but not that great of a bass response.

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 14
Dec 13, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 14
When you plug something into the green audio jack, a box should pop up asking you what was plugged in, you want the Front Speaker Out option.
Also make sure you have the latest realtek drivers.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87X-D3H-rev-1x/support#support-dl
Also assuming you max out the volume controls on the PC and use the Atom to control volume.
Oh, thank you, I will use the front out option.
I,m not using the max volume out, as it kind of annoying to be neading to leane over the amp constantly, as I am mainly gaming on the pc.
Honestly, the next thing I will buy will be a better soundcard or dac, as I have issues with hearing foodsteps on this pc, no matter which headphone I use, but at same volumes I can hear anything clear while watching streams.
Something weird is going on but I gave up.
Does maxing out the volume on pc make a difference?

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 14
Oh, thank you, I will use the front out option.
I,m not using the max volume out, as it kind of annoying to be neading to leane over the amp constantly, as I am mainly gaming on the pc.
Honestly, the next thing I will buy will be a better soundcard or dac, as I have issues with hearing foodsteps on this pc, no matter which headphone I use, but at same volumes I can hear anything clear while watching streams.
Something weird is going on but I gave up.
Does maxing out the volume on pc make a difference?
Maxing out the volume (or near max) on the PC sends a strong (loud) audio signal to the Atom.
For best audio, you want to max out the volume setting on the source and use the head amp to control volume.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 14
In the end i think this is mainly a matter of taste. You just like the sound of Sennheiser more than the new headphones. And i can't blame you, my favorite headphones are also Sennheisers. It might grow on you though. Or you might like it just for variety.
Perhaps you can make the sound more to your taste with an EQ.

For best sound with you current setup i recommend a player (like foobar) that resamples output to the samplerate of your soundcard. And Asio or Wasapi ouput.
That won't help with games though.

Dec 27, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 14
In the end i think this is mainly a matter of taste. You just like the sound of Sennheiser more than the new headphones. And i can't blame you, my favorite headphones are also Sennheisers. It might grow on you though. Or you might like it just for variety.
Perhaps you can make the sound more to your taste with an EQ.

For best sound with you current setup i recommend a player (like foobar) that resamples output to the samplerate of your soundcard. And Asio or Wasapi ouput.
That won't help with games though.
Thank you for the tip.
I didnt know about and will try foobar.

I indeed like the sennheiser sound way more but it's giving too much headache.

Dec 27, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 14
Foobar2000 (with WASAPI installed) is what I like to use, for audio files :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back