Setting Up Your Tube Amp ....
Nov 24, 2006 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
With all the new tube amp owners sprouting up I thought a basic setup guide would help.

After you remove the amp from the shipping container set the amp on a level and well ventilated rack, shelf or table.

HPIM0030.jpg

Next .... the first thing you want to do is put the tubes in the amps tube sockets. There are all types of tube bases and corresponding tube sockets. I am only going to cover 9 pin and octal sockets to prevent confusion and to keep this guide basic.

To install the tube you need to determine which tube goes with which socket. Small signal tubes usually have 9 pin minature sockets. These tubes dont really have a base just pins exiting the bottom of the tube. With 9 pin tubes there is a break in the pins .... or opening. The tube socket itself also has this break and you simply line up the holes of the socket with the pins of the tube.

Picture003-1.jpg

For octal sockets you have whats called a pin guide. There is a small ridge in the large center plastic pin on the octal tube base.

yhst-8476489043850_1913_26879107.jpg

The octal socket has a cutout that shows you exactly where this pin guide goes. Notice the slight cutout in the center of the rightmost socket in the pic below (sorry about the glare). The ridge of the pin guide is aligned with this cutout and once you place the tube correctly in the socket the tube will drop partway into the socket. Then you use both hands and firmly press the tube until the tube base is flush with the tube socket. If you dont have the tube all the way down hum will likely occur. Bend down and look at the tube socket straight on and make sure the socket is all the way down .... and save yourself the potential trouble.

HPIM0031.jpg

Now you have the amp well placed and the tubes in the amp.

HPIM0034.jpg

Next you want to connect your IC's. Make sure you have L/R correct and that the rca or balanced connection is fully inserted both at the source and the amp ends.

Picture001-6.jpg

At this point I plug in whatever headphones I plan to use. This isnt something to obcess about .... but your tubes will last longer if you keep a load connected whenever the amp is on. Without a load present, for an extended time, you can get what they call "cathode stripping" .... which can drastically shorten the life of your tubes.

The final step is to connect the power cord. Always connect the power cord last! Why? Sometimes amps get sent with the power switch turned on. If this is the case and you plug the power cord in the amp without tubes in the sockets you can damage the amp. I have trained myself to never plug in the power cord until the final step .... and you would be wise to do so too.

Now the amp is setup and you are ready to listen.

HPIM0035.jpg

Turn on the amp and let the amp idle for a minute or so. Then put on your headphones with no signal. Just listen for noise, hum or crackling type sounds. If you hear any of these you could have a bad tube, ground loop or an amp problem. If you do get some type of noise, turn the amp off temporarily, until you can consult with the builder or a knowledgeable person who can trouble shoot with you. If the sound is quiet and noise free turn on some music. The music should be free of distortion and hopefully good sounding. If you hear any distortion, level changes, intermittant pops ar cracks shut down the amp .... and again consult your builder, seller or a knowledgeable person who can guide you.

Assuming everything is ok .... I shut off the music and just let the amp idle for 30 minutes or so to let things settle in .... monitoring with no signal every ten minutes or so. If the amp continues to work fine I am satisfied everyting is ok and I start listening.
600smile.gif

Nov 24, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The final step is to connect the power cord. Always connect the power cord last! Why? Sometimes amps get sent with the power switch turned on. If this is the case and you plug the power cord in the amp without tubes in the sockets you can damage the amp. I have trained myself to never plug in the power cord until the final step .... and you would be wise to do so too.

QFT

I also usually unplug the cord from the amp when I'm swapping tubes, just in case the amp accidentally gets switched on.

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 24
Just a note, when you have your tube amp turned on, you should ALWAYS give it some kind of lead (have the headphones plugged in), even if you are not playing anything. Otherwise it will damage the tubes.

I vote for sticky.

BTW,
I want your amp sacdlover
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

QFT

I also usually unplug the cord from the amp when I'm swapping tubes, just in case the amp accidentally gets switched on.

Excellent advice. I thought about adding a tuberolling/ tube removal paragraph .... but I was lazy.
icon10.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 24
hummm,,,sexy hand..SACDLOVER

I wanna add two more little sentences for new tube users,

The first one is if you don't want your rare OS tube to lose value, always hold it on its base or sides of bulb that do not have printings on.

The second one should be more attended because if you don't do it right, it may hurt your tube in a long run. When pulling out tube that has base such as 6SN7, 300B, KT77 or KT88 from sockets, do not hold the bulb. The right way to pull it out is holding its base even it's already cool down.

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wanna add two more little sentences for new tube users,

The first one is if you don't want your rare OS tube to lose value, always hold it on its base or sides of bulb that do not have printings on.

The second one should be more attended because if you don't do it right, it may hurt your tube in a long run. When pulling out tube that has base such as 6SN7, 300B, KT77 or KT88 from sockets, do not hold the bulb. The right way to pull it out is holding its base even it's already cool down.

I was taught to never touch the glass part of a tube. Either hold it by the pins or use a cloth of some sort. This prevents fingerprints on the tube, which, according to lore, can cause premature aging of the tube. It may or may not be true but a fingerprint can cause the tube to discolor funny. So I don't take any chances.

Now that you've finished this, I have an idea of what your next post might be. For SP amps, how about providing pictures of all the different tube types, brands and models. Along with each picture you could provide a description of the tube and a summary of how it sounds. This shouldn't take you more than a week or so!
340smile.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was taught to never touch the glass part of a tube. Either hold it by the pins or use a cloth of some sort. This prevents fingerprints on the tube, which, according to lore, can cause premature aging of the tube. It may or may not be true but a fingerprint can cause the tube to discolor funny. So I don't take any chances.

I talked to Mikhail about this, and he confirmed what I thought. It's ok to handle the glass, but wipe down the tube with a microfiber cloth after you're done handling it. This way you have the best of both worlds.

Earl, if there's time, how about some words on tube care? (storage, cleaning pins, etc.) I think this might help, I know I neglected some of this in the beginning, too.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 24
Is it better to turn off the amp frequently when not in use or keep it on all the time? I hear turning the tubes on is the toughest part for the tubes. This question is general but is there anything i should do for the 12au7 specifically?

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it better to turn off the amp frequently when not in use or keep it on all the time? I hear turning the tubes on is the toughest part for the tubes. This question is general but is there anything i should do for the 12au7 specifically?

I don't leave mine on all the time, when I'm away from home I make sure to power it down for safety.

There was a poll not long ago with a few comments.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 24

You think thats good you should see the rest of me.
biggrin.gif

Earl, if there's time, how about some words on tube care? (storage, cleaning pins, etc.) I think this might help, I know I neglected some of this in the beginning, too.

I might do that this weekend. I definitely plan to do what you suggest at some point.
wink.gif

Now that you've finished this, I have an idea of what your next post might be. For SP amps, how about providing pictures of all the different tube types, brands and models. Along with each picture you could provide a description of the tube and a summary of how it sounds. This shouldn't take you more than a week or so!

I plan on doing this too .... but not quite so extensively.
blink.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 24
And another question, if you all don't mind. I just got a Cayin HA-1A amp today (merry Christmas, indeed!) and I'm wondering if I need to turn it off when I change headphones. On the one hand, you're meant to keep a constant load, but on the other, you're not meant to keep turning the amp on and off. Which is worse? If I stop the music and turn the volume all the way down on the amp is it OK to change headphones without turning it off? Seems to work OK with my GS-1, but tubes are new to me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #15 of 24
Turn the volume knob to nothing and then switch phones. Good luck with the new amp!
-greg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And another question, if you all don't mind. I just got a Cayin HA-1A amp today (merry Christmas, indeed!) and I'm wondering if I need to turn it off when I change headphones. On the one hand, you're meant to keep a constant load, but on the other, you're not meant to keep turning the amp on and off. Which is worse? If I stop the music and turn the volume all the way down on the amp is it OK to change headphones without turning it off? Seems to work OK with my GS-1, but tubes are new to me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back