Setting up surround sound system ?
Dec 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ched999uk

New Head-Fier
Really sorry for this being not headphones related but after finding this forum, during my research for new headphones, and my subsequent testing and buying Sennheisser HD558s (Christmas present) I have started looking at my Cinema system. You chaps seem to be very knowledgeable and helpful so I thought I would ask for help here.

I don't have any budget to replace my ageing kit (Sony 810 AV amp (only newish bit of kit, rest about 12 years old), 4 old Moudaunt Short MS25i Pearl floorstanders, a matching centre and a Paradigm PS1000 sub) but I thought that if I ask here I might get some tips on how to setup/calibrate the system.

My idea is to use the auto calibration mic that came with my Sony AV Receiver and connect it to my laptop mic input (just regular inbuilt sound card) . I have a 'test' CD with test tones and sweeps on to uses as the source. I was then thinking of using something like Sillanumsoft Visual Analyser or TrueRTA Spectrum Analyser to view the sound received from the mic.

I was hoping that this would help me in speaker positioning, level, and sub crossover and phase.

Am I completely mad or could the above help me setting up my surround system to be as good as my old kit can be without lots of expensive test kit and replacement?

Cheers for any help.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 8
if your receiver came with a microphone then it should have a room correction software available to do all the work for you.  you can use something like TrueRTA or REW but your receiver will need to be able to adjust both time and amplitude for each speaker.  it's a good idea but i'm not really sure i understand where you're going with this

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 8
When the funds are available, get a new AV receiver with Audyssey or better yet Audyssey Multi XT. Denon, Onkyo and Marantz all offer this room correction and, of those, I'd recommend Denon. Another thing if you want good cinema surround you're going to need a decent sub. I'd recommend looking at offering from SVS or HSU. You could also look at the Outlaw LFM-1 EX which IMO is the one of the best bang for the bucks subs out there.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 8
  I was hoping that this would help me in speaker positioning, level, and sub crossover and phase.

Speaker positioning: Ear level, not too close to the wall, toed in to point at you in the listening position, no more than 8 feet apart.

Level: That just takes listening and figuring out the proper balance.

Sub Crossover: With small speakers, 120 Hz. With big cabinet speakers, 80Hz.

Phase: You shouldn't have to mess with it unless your room is huge.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm confused with his post.he's not here anyways so what's it matter lol but why does his receiver have a Mic if it doesn't have room correction software

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 8

Speaker positioning: Ear level, not too close to the wall, toed in to point at you in the listening position, no more than 8 feet apart.

Level: That just takes listening and figuring out the proper balance.

Sub Crossover: With small speakers, 120 Hz. With big cabinet speakers, 80Hz.

Phase: You shouldn't have to mess with it unless your room is huge.

Clear, concise and correct. 
beerchug.gif

Also, depending on the positioning, you might need to delay your sub a little bit to gain the best effect. It's a small tweak but it really makes the sub disappear in directionality. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 8
  When the funds are available, get a new AV receiver with Audyssey or better yet Audyssey Multi XT. Denon, Onkyo and Marantz all offer this room correction and, of those, I'd recommend Denon. Another thing if you want good cinema surround you're going to need a decent sub. I'd recommend looking at offering from SVS or HSU. You could also look at the Outlaw LFM-1 EX which IMO is the one of the best bang for the bucks subs out there.

After having the Marantz 6006 for awhile and NOT calibrating the room correction with Multi XT I finally got a chance to do so and the difference is tremendous vs. out of the box. Pretty cool way to calibrate and get good results. Used receivers with this feature should be out there relatively cheap or perhaps discontinued models (like mine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back