Setting Up Entech 205.2
Apr 13, 2007 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Anfibolita

New Head-Fier
frown.gif
I have recently purchased an Entech 205.2 from Ebay. After having some troubles with the Power Supply, apparently it came with a wrong PS, i grab a new one PS (AC 16v 650mA) based on some users specifications.

I have an old Abit Nf7-s 2.0 Motherboard with SPDIF Optical Output, i couldn't get an chaintech av710 for the moment so i have no choice rather than hook up the Entech to my Mobo. The problem is that i still don't get any sound. I really don't know where to start. i just connect everything but no sound. My Amp is an old Carver CM-1065 works smoothly so i think that the problem is between the onboard soundcard and the entech. I'm pretty sure that i have the spdif turned on. I also have Foobar with Asio4All, but i'm sure something is missing, maybe Output Resolution....i don't have any idea????

I'm really concerned about the DAC, is there any electrical test that i could do to figure out if is receiving or emiting something???

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 15
i will post some pics to help you, this pics were taken while listening music from foobar, with my sound card connected directly to the amp, at the same time i've got the Spdif->entech->amp conection but no sound!

I run a speaker wizard from the nvmixer but when it says that is testing de digital output i still don't get nothing.

asioafter.jpg

asio.jpg

nvmixer.jpg

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 15
there is an internal relay that activates the circuit when the unit detects an input. it also illuminates the signal input LED on the front panel.

Do you hear the click of the relay?
Does the front panel LED light up in unison with the relay clicks?
Do you have a CD deck (or another source, known to be good) with a coax digital or toslink optical output? Try that source... see if it does/doesn't work.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 15
yeap i have the correct input selected. The optical LED is the only ligthed up. Tonight i will try with my mom's stetoscope
blink.gif
maybe i could hear something.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anfibolita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeap i have the correct input selected. The optical LED is the only ligthed up. Tonight i will try with my mom's stetoscope
blink.gif
maybe i could hear something.

You don't need a stethoscope to hear the relay, its a clearly audible "click". the OPTICAL led will illuminate when you select that source.

The DATA LOCKED led should illuminate when your source sends it a signal. So, either your source is not sending it a signal or the DAC is not detecting that signal.

Do you have a known good optical source you can try, PCDP or CD deck perhaps? I would try plugging that into the entech.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 15
How does the DATA LOCKED LED works? For example when the monitor plug is off the monitor shows a screen "NO SIGNAL", when you connect it to the vga this screen goes off but that doesn't mean you can see your Windows Desktop, maybe some drivers are missing or resolution setting....

My DATA LOCKED LED never lighted up, but could it be because the "physicial" connection or could it be some configurations issues???

I try to connect a dvd player that has spdif optical with no results, anyway the dvdp is very crappy so i think i wasn't a good test. I need to get a decent sound card or some already tested equipment.

Still fighting....
frown.gif

I bought a brand new SPDIF connector so i guess this is not the problem. Are this connectors delicate?

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anfibolita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the DATA LOCKED LED works? For example when the monitor plug is off the monitor shows a screen "NO SIGNAL", when you connect it to the vga this screen goes off but that doesn't mean you can see your Windows Desktop, maybe some drivers are missing or resolution setting....

My DATA LOCKED LED never lighted up, but could it be because the "physicial" connection or could it be some configurations issues???

I try to connect a dvd player that has spdif optical with no results, anyway the dvdp is very crappy so i think i wasn't a good test. I need to get a decent sound card or some already tested equipment.

Still fighting....
frown.gif

I bought a brand new SPDIF connector so i guess this is not the problem. Are this connectors delicate?

The data locked LED will illuminate when the entech DAC input locks onto a data stream. If you're using a toslink optical cable, it should be able to lock onto it easily. I dont even have to insert the cable all the way into the DAC, just kind of hold it there and the dac will "data lock" onto that signal.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 15
I just tried to hear something from the relay but i couldn't.
When i hook up the spdif cable nothing specail happens but randomly the data locked and the coax 1 led start blinkin for 3 to 5 seconds and then stops. Something similars happens when i press the PHASE Button. I have always have the optical led lighted up.

I have recently do some experiments with the nvmixer wizard, look at this pictures. In the first one the wizard sends white noise to all the analog outputs, obviusly the VU METERS show the white noise. Then the wizard send WN to all the digital outputs, but the vu meters shows nothings. Does this mean something??? I'm starting to think that my digital output is not working at all......

analog.jpg

digital.jpg

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 15
Well, I don't know if this will re-assure you, but when I ordered my 203.2 off Amazon, the first shipment was DOA. No matter what I did I could not get the locked LED to light up. I use a Mac so it was fairly straightforward. I decided I could open the box or replace the PSU or a dozen more ways of troubleshooting.

Since the dealer had another one in stock he was willing to send me, I decided to try it since I had nothing to lose. At worst, it wouldn't work and I would realize that it was probably my computer that was the problem. Fortunately, the second DAC lit up and played right when I plugged it in.

So, if you can, try to get a replacement, because it is possible that it could be DOA.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 15
my real problem is that i'm from Argentina so i impossible to get a second DAC.

I believe that my last two pictures are enough evidence that i have somo sort of problem whit my digital output. When the self nvmixer try to test the digital output the vumeters shows nothing at all.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 15
i just bought a chaintech av710 and tried to plug it to my DAC but no DATA LOCKED at all. I'm thinking that maybe my DAC Optical Input is not working because there is no way that two soundcards and two optical cables were broken. So my last chance before do some surgery to my DAC is to test the Coaxial Inputs.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 15
i bought the chaintech and still couldnt get any sound through the entech. I'm realizing that i should open the dac and start doing some repairing task, Does anyone know where should i start?, maybe i could replace the optical module or something like that?

Is possible to repair it or i'm going mad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back