Setting up AV-710 & Wnamp: N00b needs your help
Aug 5, 2004 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
Hey all

I just installed my Chaintech AV-710, and thanks to Mr Radar's amazing setup guide, configuring foobar was no problem.

Yet I want to configure Winamp to use the AV-710 as well. A few months ago I had to reinstall Winamp, and installed 2.91 (if I should use another version, please feel free to give recommendations). Right now I DO have winamp playing out of the 710 telling DirectSound output and waveout output to use the AV-710 card. However, I don't have any plug-ins installed, and want to know what I should do &/or download to get the best sound possible from my new soundcard.

Realize that I don't know jack about the soundcard world, so take it easy and slow.

thanks!

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 15
I also just installed the Chaintech using Mr. Radar's setup instructions.

I found a Winamp plugin that provides Kernel Streaming, and it works with the Chaintech. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I found it, but a Google search should turn it up somewhere.

Aug 7, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 15
no one else has any input?

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 15
You can also use ASIO plug-in but keep in mind that this page is in Japanese!! :shock: Anyhow, I don't use Winamp so can't help you further... Foobar is just better for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck.

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 15
i messed with foobar for about an hour, and i just HATE the UI.
i was trying to get that foo tunes UI installed, but no luck.

someone said that the difference between direct sound / asio / kernel streaming was minimal anyway, and mr. radar agreed... i think.
if that's the case, i'll just stick with good ole winamp, and the albumlist plugin.

this chaintech rocks.

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 15
sugarkang

I wasnt too fond of the UI either, but then downloaded foolooks and a skin for it. It now has a nice GUI that is easy to use. I will try to screenshot it later

follow this link and d/l the program, if you like
http://www.foobarlooks.tk/

good luck

Sep 1, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 15
nanahachi and sugarkang, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you guys. I was instructed to use foobar, but I'm also a graphical person and I preferred Winamp a lot more there. So, I used the aformentioned http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/out_asio(dll).html plugin by proxops-pete starting a couple months ago or something. I'd say the difference with Winamp ASIO vs. Winamp DirectSound is more noticable then Winamp ASIO vs. foobar ASIO, so it's a good middle ground for those of you who don't want to use foobar IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
sugarkang

I wasnt too fond of the UI either, but then downloaded foolooks and a skin for it. It now has a nice GUI that is easy to use.

i just downloaded foolooks, and the darn thing doesn't come with any instructions. i just unzipped it and put everything in the foobar installation folder. is that right?

now i just download a skin?

i dunno. this just seems like so much work. i wish this stuff would just work right out of the box. ARGH. frustration.

Sep 4, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 15
It seems like work on Foolooks has stopped. Apparently it wasn't popular enough for continued development (the latest builds available are only compatible with Foobar 0.7.x, not the current 0.8.x).

Sep 6, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
It seems like work on Foolooks has stopped. Apparently it wasn't popular enough for continued development (the latest builds available are only compatible with Foobar 0.7.x, not the current 0.8.x).

I downloaded and installed Foobar v0.8.3 this weekend and foo_looks v1.09 combined with foo_wsgui_0.33b worked just fine. At least for my chosen skin, Mithril v1.09.

Mithril_GUI.jpg

I hope work continues on the GUI options for Foobar. I like having both available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back