Setting Up a Streaming Server
Feb 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

adisib

100+ Head-Fier
My Android phone has very little storage and no possibility of expansion, so I can't hold all of my music, even at a low quality. I've decided to put a few tracks at 192kbps on there, and stream everything at high quality from my Windows 7 computer when able.

I want to be able to listen to it with my preferred player, which is DeaDBeef, and not install anything if I don't have to. I set my music folder as a shared folder and was able to open it in my phone using ES File Explorer (though I don't want to have ES if I don't have to; was using OI File Manager but it can't access network folders, so had to download bloated ES). ES's player can play the files off my computer, but DeaDBeef cannot when I try to open them with it.

The question is, is there a way to play those files with DeaDBeef? Would Neutron Player be able to if I switched? Is there simply a better way to stream my music to my phone, so that I can use whichever player I choose (and not have to install things if possible)?

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 5
I think you need to look for streaming server software for your PC. That's what you seem to be missing. Right now, it appears that you are just trying to open the shared file stored on your PC. A streaming server allows you to simply open a URL served by your PC.

This isn't an area I know, other than knowing that such things exist. Try googling for Kodi (formerly called XBMC).

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the help, but it doesn't seem that DeaDBeef on Android supports UPnP or DLNA. I guess I will buy Neutron Player at some point, though I preferred DeaDBeef when I compared them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back