Setting a Goal - Best Headphone/Amp/Source for ~$600
Jan 8, 2005 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

uosux

100+ Head-Fier
While I'm doing well with my current set up (Zen Xtra, Grado SR80s, Shure E2Cs), I'm planning on working towards something a bit more "substantial". I want to start off a nice home listening set-up, but don't have an unlimited budget.

I am thinking along the lines of $600, which would be $200 for each component (Headphones, amp, source). So far I was checking out the HD580s, but am at a loss for what I could get for an amp or source. Since I am only using my Zen Xtra now I feel I need something proper to listen from. The total price is more important than the individual components, so feel free to shift the figures around.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edit: Okay, how does this look so far:
Headphones: Sennheiser HD580 - $200
Amp: Gilmore Lite - $300
Source: Toshiba SD-3950 - $60

I've read some really good things about that Toshiba. However, my selection for the Amp is more or less a shot in the dark. Should I take interconnects into mind?

Jan 8, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 5
off topic, but.. your username is horrible :[

uo rules, long live uo!

wink.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 5
For $600, think "pre-owned".
cool.gif

Headphones: Watch the for sale forun for some cardas-ed HD600 for @ $200.

Amp: You should have gotten in on the Porta CORDA II group buy, but this thing with a 24VDC elpac is pretty sweet and you can add the mains power later.

Source: Take your remaining dough and watch here and Audiogon.com for a solid CDP when somebody's trading up.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 5
I agree 100% with Old Pa. If you shop wisely and take a little time you can get some very nice gear for a fraction of what it costs new.

Jan 8, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 5
I've been researching along similar lines, and for that budget, here's what I have in mind (all prices new):

Source: NAD 521BEE ($240)
Amp: Headsave Classic ($160 ± a few)
Phones: AKG K501, but there's many choices here under $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back