Set up dac and amp system help please
Mar 21, 2018 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Osc4r86

New Head-Fier
I want a to buy a audioengine d1dac and smsl ad18 amplifier so i can hook it up to my mac mini and ps4 is that possible . Like what connections would i need to setup everything or how do i go about putting it together?

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 15
DAC will take digital signal from your source (Mac, PC or PS4) then convert the digital signal to analogue signal by decoding them using the DAC chip. Amplifier will take up the analogue signal from the DAC and amplify them to a louder volume. So to connect a DAC, you need a digital cable (from USB port) then from DAC to amplifier you will need an analogue cable (line out or RCA cable).

Correct me if I was wrong, I think Audioengine D1 DAC comes with built in amplifier. To optimise the sound quality, you should bypass the built in amplifier and use SMSL AD18 amplifier or use the built in amplifier (forget about the SMSL AD18 amp). Double amping should be avoided because it will amplify the noise too.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 15
so with the d1 amp/dac i can hook up the mac with the usb cable and with the ps4 i can hook it up with a toslink cable right how do i change with output to use when i have one device on
I was just checking out the manual online and they stated that the optical takes preference over USB. So hooking up the PS4 would mean that it would be the dominant source. There is no way to switch between the two it seems. I am guessing that you would need to unplug the Optical to get the USB to work.

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 15
I was just checking out the manual online and they stated that the optical takes preference over USB. So hooking up the PS4 would mean that it would be the dominant source. There is no way to switch between the two it seems. I am guessing that you would need to unplug the Optical to get the USB to work.
do u know of any am/dac integrated together or separate that has a remote or switch u can use for switching between connections?

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 15
do u know of any am/dac integrated together or separate that has a remote or switch u can use for switching between connections?
I know HDVD800 and TA-ZH1ES able to switch around using the control knob.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 15
Topping D30 DAC + A30 amp, the D30 has a selector switch between optical, coaxial and USB.

The JDS Labs OL DAC would also work, it has a switch on the front to switch between Optical and USB.
i dont know about the jds labs one but the topping dac and amp look good enough to buy . if i may how would u set it up and what cables would u use for them to work together?

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 15
i dont know about the jds labs one but the topping dac and amp look good enough to buy . if i may how would u set it up and what cables would u use for them to work together?

So you need an RCA cable between the D30 and A30.

Then you need the optical out of the playstation into the D30, and the USB output of the Mac Mini into the D30 then just use the selector switch to change between optical and USB.

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 15
So you need an RCA cable between the D30 and A30.

Then you need the optical out of the playstation into the D30, and the USB output of the Mac Mini into the D30 then just use the selector switch to change between optical and USB.
so like this rca to rca
upload_2018-3-26_19-21-54.png
from d30 to a30 and then optical .
upload_2018-3-26_19-25-15.png
from the ps4 and usb
upload_2018-3-26_19-26-14.png
to the mac mini . do u think it can take a usb 3 male b or a regular usb 2 male b cable?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-26_19-24-36.png
    upload_2018-3-26_19-24-36.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back