Set up a meet at Vancouver, BC?
Feb 9, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only three.five hours of driving...hmm...

Won't you set the Seattle meet up, Brian?
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 41
bumb this for a potential Anamorph

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 41
So, if one wishes to attend a Vancouver BC meet travelling from the USA by car, what could one expect from the customs creeps going up and coming back? Please, only those who have actually taken their precious gear across the boundary need weigh in on this.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #25 of 41
I've never had any problems, but I've never actually declared anything. It's your own stuff you are bringing with you, and it will be leaving with you. But this is just me talking. I have a friend that works in Customs, I'll ask him. Might take a few days to get back to you, he's not always online.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #26 of 41
Ok, reply from my friend in Customs:

Quote:

I assume that this person is a U.S. citizen. It wouldn't be a problem, but the person may be asked to provide document proof of the convention or meeting. The officer would certainly do his own investigation to determine any risk of the equipment staying in Canada. If there were any doubt of the equipment returning to the U.S., the subject would be turned back.
It would be a good idea for this person to document the equipment with USCBP prior to entering Canada (edit: USCBP is just US Customs... he's recommending you declare your stuff with the US side before going into Canada). This would eliminate any suspicion when re-entering the U.S. with the goods and may also provide document evidence for CBSA (edit: Canada's Customs) that the subject has the intention of returning the equipment to the U.S.

Hope that this helps.

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by curbfeeler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if one wishes to attend a Vancouver BC meet travelling from the USA by car, what could one expect from the customs creeps going up and coming back? Please, only those who have actually taken their precious gear across the boundary need weigh in on this.

My good friend and I live just across the border from each other, so I am CONSTANTLY crossing the BC/Washington state border. I can't remember the last time I went a whole week without crossing. I also can't remember the last time I went without audio gear. Here is the entire list of border guard questions, I will try not to exclude any. These are the questions you can expect when crossing into Canada:

What is the purpose of your trip?

Do you have tickets or documentation for the event you plan to attend?

Where are you from?

Where are you travelling to?

How much currency are you bringing with you into Canada?

What are you carrying with you in the vehicle/trunk?

Who is the owner of this vehicle?

Is everything in the vehicle yours?

Did anybody ask you to bring anything into Canada for them?

Are you carrying any gifts or items you intend to leave in Canada?

Have you ever been arrested or fingerprinted?

What is your occupation?

What is your relation to your passenger(s) and those you intend to visit?

Are you travelling with any alcohol, tobacco or medications?

When was the last time you crossed the border?

Have you ever been turned away at the border?

How long is your stay in Canada?

Where are you staying during your visit?

They usually ask 4 or 5 of these questions, randomly selected, but they are always THESE questions. They may also ask you to turn off your engine, hand them your keys and pop your trunk, at which point they will inspect your trunk. There is also a small chance (maybe a 10% chance) you will be asked to pull in to have your car searched. You go inside, officers search your vehicle, and the officers inside the building ask you a few more of the questions, sometimes the very same ones. Theyre usually pretty easy on the car if it looks "clean" to begin with, and they let you go after maybe 15 minutes.

Just answer everything they ask you truthfully and be cooperative and it'll be pretty painless. Sometimes its literally ten seconds.
"Where are you going?"
"Bellingham."
"Purpose of the trip."
"Shopping."
*looks at passport* "Goodbye."

If this meet happens, I look forward to seeing you there
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #28 of 41
bump for a Marantz 5001 I purchased frome fellow Canadian Pfillion that I would bring to the meet along with KICAS Caliente.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back