Set on the SRH940's...ok?
Mar 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bueller20

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I have been browsing this forum for about a month, and only joined about 5 minutes ago :). I am looking for a pair of over-ear closed headphones (~ $300 range). I currently have a nurforce udac with my desktop pc at home, however these headphones will be used both at home (with the udac) and on flights (ipod touch). I travel a bit for work and need a comfortable closed good sounding pair of over-ear phones. I currently own Denon AH-NC732 noise cancelling headphones, and not a fan of them. They are dull, and are on-ear (not comfortable after an hour or so for me). I won these in a contest at work, but yea, not impressed with them. 

I went through over 500+ threads here to see my options. I am pretty set on the SRH940's... I mostly listen to rock, classic rock, grunge (Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, etc).

I listened to both the SRH940's and the 840's at a local shop, and I thought the 940's were very good and comfortable, but I was listening to a totally different genre of music (in the store). Am I making the right choice? Persuade me otherwise? 
wink.gif

Thank you all! This is a great forum. I am addicted to music now because of this site ..
atsmile.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 14
heya, let me be the first to welcome you
beerchug.gif
, though im a newbie as well, hehe... i also audtioned for one as well as the 440, 750dj and 550dj, from a store called "audiophile" and the salesperson there didnt even know what an amp is! i was using my clip zip + e6 combo... he was blabbering about stuff i couldnt really audtion properly.... so i bought a ath ws-55 instead from the next store, and im loving it...

(thought i would compare the two for ya, but seeing i didnt audition properly.. nevermind) but i did read lots of review saying the 940 as well as most of the shure line is quite detailed, see if that wat you want though...

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:

I went through over 500+ threads here to see my options. I am pretty set on the SRH940's... I mostly listen to rock, classic rock, grunge (Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, etc).

I don't think that the srh940 are the best for rock, you'd probably want more bass.
Also I only reached true satisfaction with my srh940 after modding them (more depth to ear cups).  I'd think the srh940 would be good with any music not relying heavily on bass, such classical, or film soundtracks ... Doesn't mean that rock would be bad on them, but you'd get more fun if there's more bass.

Quote:
, but I was listening to a totally different genre of music (in the store).

That was a mistake. You can't assess if you don't try with what you want to listen.
I remind a demo of bose speakers on a store, only bassy techno was played, this doesn't help to get an idea.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 14
hi,
the reason I'm saying that the srh940 might not be best for rock, is that I  own some hd25 II too  that are much more fun to listen on mainstream music.
Unfortunately they are on ear, and not comfy. I  bought them for their reputation of being durable, and their addidas version look nice.
And I found that the hd25 provide more isolation than the srh940.
Otherwise the regular recommendation for rock, is to get  some grados. Unfortunately again, these are on ear.
Perhaps some ultrasone....

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 14
Well, here is the unfortunate thing...I am in Canada, and the availability of many of these cans is few and far between. I can buy them online, but listening in-store is near impossible for some brands (ie. Beyer)..

I did some searching here on the DT770 Pro's, and I keep seeing that they are bass heavy, which is something I want to stray from.. 

Right now, for me, it looks like it's the SRH940 vs DT770 Pro................any further advice for a rock guy is much appreciated :)

May 6, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Well, here is the unfortunate thing...I am in Canada, and the availability of many of these cans is few and far between. I can buy them online, but listening in-store is near impossible for some brands (ie. Beyer)..

I did some searching here on the DT770 Pro's, and I keep seeing that they are bass heavy, which is something I want to stray from.. 

Right now, for me, it looks like it's the SRH940 vs DT770 Pro................any further advice for a rock guy is much appreciated :)

Hey there! I'm also in Canada. If you live in Vancouver, there is a store called Headphone Bar.
You can demo some high quality cans like HD 800, Beyer T70, DT 990, DT 880, AKG 550, shure srh940,three different grados, etc. at the store.

They also have a lot of amps.

Cheers

May 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 14
Take a look at the Sony MDR-Z1000/7520. They are among the most versatile heaphones on the market because they're full-size yet compact (more so than the 940) and very efficient. so they'd be great both on the go and at home. as far as SQ concerned, they're pretty analytical sounding but not to the 'merciless' extetnt that i've read the SRH940 is described as, the tonality is just tipped to brightness yet still were very neutral to my ears, whith good hard hittng bass slam when called upon, that maintains great texture anytime, though extetntion is not the greatest. Overall i liked them a whole lot better than the DT770 or SRH840.

May 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Take a look at the Sony MDR-Z1000/7520. They are among the most versatile heaphones on the market because they're full-size yet compact (more so than the 940) and very efficient. so they'd be great both on the go and at home. as far as SQ concerned, they're pretty analytical sounding but not to the 'merciless' extetnt that i've read the SRH940 is described as, the tonality is just tipped to brightness yet still were very neutral to my ears, whith good hard hittng bass slam when called upon, that maintains great texture anytime, though extetntion is not the greatest. Overall i liked them a whole lot better than the DT770 or SRH840.

hey do you prefer z1000 or the srh940? both im considering buying, i need to know more about them. 

May 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 14
I've translated this for you, from a french website clubic:

akg k550
sq: 10/10
comfort: 9/10
Isolation: 7/10
built quality: 8/10
overall: very good

pros:
*closed with open sound
* neutral
* comfy , good build quality
* 2 D  axis, good price

cons
* not so good with an average mp3 player
* bulky, 3m cable
* doesn't stay in place when moving
* not flexible, weak packaging

hd25
sq: 9/10
comfort : 8/10
isolation: 9/10
built quality: 7/10

pro:
* neutral, dynamic, detailled
* efficient, good isolation
* enough comfy / double headband
* adidas design / price

con:
* fatiguing at high volume levels
* not flexible, particular design
* you can dismount cable, but not detach it
* pressure on ears, cheap plastic look

srh940
sq: 10/10
comfort:9/10
isolation: 7/10
built quality: 6/10

pro:
* linearity (I  assume it means flat freq response)  , sharp details
* good imaging
* comfy, flexible
* isolation is ok, packaging, price

cons:
* doesn't work that good on an average mp3 player
* lacking some "character" ???
* built quality a bit lacking
* bulky

Sony MDR-Z1000
sound quality: 9/10
comfort : 9/10
isolation : 9/10
built quality : 10/10

pro:
* neutral, detailled, slightly warm
* good efficiency, very  good isolation
* comfy, buit quality
* good cabling

cons:
* too expensive
* crystalline sound can be fatiguing
* soundstage is not very big
* not flexible, heavy

source: http://www.clubic.com/materiel-audio-hifi/casque-audio/article-446200-1-casques-audio-haut-gamme.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back