Set on buying he-400, any other recommedations?
Aug 1, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 16
Do the following mods to the HE-400: open grill mod, damping, and cloth mod. Listening in balance mode she shines the best.
Look up the history of HE-400 on Head-Fi and see what is all the talk on HE-400. Over 1,000 page thread. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 16
To try to sum up what i want, im looking for the sound to just be there and big with lots of attitude from lack of words to explain.

That's so hard to know what you mean. LOL

One thing. Depending on what you have to drive your headphones and your listening volume, you may very well need an amp to use the HiFiMan planars. Be sure to factor that in your budget.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 16
That's so hard to know what you mean. LOL

One thing. Depending on what you have to drive your headphones and your listening volume, you may very well need an amp to use the HiFiMan planars. Be sure to factor that in your budget.
there is no need to worry about an amp or dac, i have plenty of sufficent equipment

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 16
there is no need to worry about an amp or dac, i have plenty of sufficent equipment
What are you looking for? Planars are very different than dynamics for sure. The 400's like power . They are not real bass heavy if that's what your looking for but do have good sub bass.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 16
What are you looking for? Planars are very different than dynamics for sure. The 400's like power . They are not real bass heavy if that's what your looking for but do have good sub bass.
Im definately not a bass head but i think i would apprieciate the bass it has from the reciews. Im looking for a headphone that is not neutral but also has good clarity. The he-400i also seems like a good choice.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 16
If they have enough power, can you get a engaging full experience at low volumes?
I agree they need power . Headroom is what you want for these.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 16
I agree they need power . Headroom is what you want for these.

What do you mean by headroom 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 16
What do you mean by headroom 
regular_smile%20.gif
Headroom is is in a sense more power than you need. It is increasing the volume without more distortion .

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 16
I getchya, what amps have you guys been using to drive them?
I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon and a EF2A though it doesn't get hooked up much. My QP1R runs themselves just fine also but they might need a little more.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 16
The EF2a sounds interesting, what kind of sound does it produce, have you been using it with any other headphones?
No I haven't but the amp is very powerful .You want me to break it out and give some impression don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back