Sesame Street Bert Joins Bin Laden
Oct 12, 2001 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
This is a follow up to that pic that I posted before, at last the full story!

Sesame Street Bert Joins Bin Laden on Posters
By Bernhard Warner

LONDON (Reuters) - A satirical image of beloved children's television icon, Bert, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the world's most wanted man, Osama bin Laden, has made a bizarre appearance at Muslim rallies in Asia.

The image of the unlikely duo -- the ``Sesame Street'' character and the suspected mastermind behind the September 11 hijack attacks in the United States -- has been splashed across spoof Internet sites over the past month.

Mysteriously, the image made the jump from the virtual world to the real one, appearing on bin Laden placards at anti-American Muslim rallies in Bangladesh over the past week.

The posters, which show a tiny Bert tucked between two images of bin Laden, were clutched by seemingly unsuspecting demonstrators at rallies on October 5 and 9.

The banana-shaped Muppet is easy to miss at first glance.

Photos of the protest placards have been posted on scores of humor and news Websites after circulating around the globe via e-mail.

Astonished Internet users first noticed the appearance of Bert on Wednesday morning. By Thursday, it had become a raging debate on the Internet.

``Bert working with bin Laden?'' reads a headline on Swedish Website www.lindqvist.com. A debate follows on the site as conspiracy theorists try to figure out the mystery of how the spoof photo made it onto the streets of Bangladesh.

Sesame Workshop, the non-profit company based in New York that oversees licensing of ``Sesame Street'' products, said in a statement it was exploring all legal options to stop unauthorized use of its property.

``We're outraged that our characters would be used in this unfortunate and distasteful manner. This is not at all humorous,'' a spokesman said.

``HONESTLY FREAKED OUT!''

Part of the mystery can be traced to California.

A San Francisco artist, Dino Ignacio, in 1998 started a conspiratorial spoof site called ``Bert is Evil,'' in which Bert is inserted into famous historical photos.

He has appeared alongside Adolph Hitler and among a crowd in Dallas as John F. Kennedy's motorcade passes.

Ignacio put a statement on his site, www.fractalcow.com, on Wednesday denying he was the creator of the Bert and bin Laden image.

``I just wanted to say I had nothing do to with this!'' the statement reads. ``This image has been e-mailed to me countless times since September 11. Yesterday a lot of you alerted me to a picture of a Taliban propaganda poster with Bert!''

``Reality is imitating the Web!'' the statement continues. ``I am honestly freaked out!''

The Bert-bin Laden poster contains a montage of bin Laden photos. One shows him holding a microphone and another wearing military fatigues sitting beside a propped-up Kalashnikov rifle.

Bert, wearing a menacing open-mouthed expression, appears between two of the images.

The posters were photographed by news organizations including Reuters, and distributed to newspapers and news sites around the world.

Oct 13, 2001 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 18
Raise your hand if you think Osama is just the figurehead, and Bert is really the evil genius pulling the strings.

Oct 13, 2001 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 18
i found out some surprising information from some insiders. bin laden is just a figurehead, and it's ernie that's actually in charge. bert just relays messages between them.

Oct 13, 2001 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Am I alone when I say putting Sesame Street characteers and bin Laden in the same sentence, let alonephoto, is distasteful?

frown.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Am I alone when I say putting Sesame Street characteers and bin Laden in the same sentence, let alonephoto, is distasteful?

Depends.Anyone young enough to actually watch Seseme Street would not have access to the photo,and those old enough to find the photo would take it for what it is,a spoof,MAD TV

Those old enough to know better but not smart enough to tell the difference between real and fantasy ........................

Sucks to be them

Oct 14, 2001 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 18
rick - I understood it was a joke, just as you did.

But come on! Sesame Street?

THAT is crude, IMO.....it just isn't funny.....it's like the Barney Hater Games on the net - I saw one where you burn Barney's ass with a pack of matches.

Hilarious.

rolleyes.gif

I don't watch those shows anymore - any maybe my memory is failing - but I don't really remember them as negative in ANY way....well, Barney was a little TOO chirpy....but I was like, 6, when it started.....past the happy-happy-joy-joy TV age, I guess.

Meh.

Oct 14, 2001 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 18
ai - I used the phrase that Ren & Stimpy did, indeed, sing to illustrate the mood of much TV programming for people in the age bracket Barney (tho certainly not Ren & Stimpy) is intended for.

Oct 14, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 18
There was a time veej when I put my carreer on hold and stayed home with my youngest son.My wife is pissed to this day that it was I that heard his first words (he was young,only cost me two bucks)
Seseme street and barney were both on the "to watch" list,but I gotta tell ya man,barney was on ludes
Way too much happy,happy,joy,joy
But we also watched some REALLY educational shows.Wild America ,National Geographic,New Yamkee Workshop (knew he hadda work at some point),Discovery Channel.We had GREAT conversations , even though he could not yet speak the english language I still got the point.

By the age of four I took him on his first hike.The little **** remembered all the cram sessions in front of the TV and the backyard "this is poison ivy",remember it well,sessions did not hurt.

Anyway,no,those shows never did anything that would piss off anyone,but by being so predictable and bland are an easy target.

Then again,maybe not
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 18
exactly, rick - exactly!

Oct 14, 2001 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 18
Somebody shot barney with a shotgun at a wal-mart in texas. So if your going to Texas "steer" clear of the Barney suits. (I am taking this pun thing too far I think)

Yeah, Barney is way too Happy Happy Joy Joy. But the teletubbies are worse man. The friggin teletubbies are like a nightmare. Big bouncing alien creatures with little TV's in their bellies. And they sing, and dance, and laugh eternally like elven hand puppetts starring in some kind of interplanetary space odyssey. The teletubbies are also hedonists man, hardcore hedonists. I thought I was heathen but these teletubbies are probably shooting heroin and getting blow jobs behind the scenes. Then they drop a pint of acid and run around in front a camera which is broadcast to our nations children. It just isn't right, everything is so bright and over stimulating, I think it's directed by muslim terrorists. And the way they talk man, I tried talking like Barney once and my own dog started barking at me. There is something wicked about that voice and animals can sense it....

My advice to parents around the globe is just turn the TV off.

Oct 14, 2001 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 18
The Daily Show was making fun of the Teletubbies in one of their skits a long time ago. They were showing a clip of one Teletubby poking another Teletubby in the butt. Needless to say, hilarity ensued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back