Seriously need help guys for getting my first 'real music' headphone
Dec 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 23
I bought the M50 blind based on recommendations here and after that went and tried the HD 25-1 II's in a store for a while and can honestly say that if given a choice for pure music quality then the HD's wins hands down. However, in the US the HD's are twice the price and I'm also pretty damn neurotic about on-ear's. The HD's are by no means uncomfortable but my personal preference runs  to circumaural.

That said, I'd still recommend the HD 25's for the listening experience as I'm looking for something better than the M50's for a portable, over ear closed can experience for myself after a very brief time of ownership. I guess open's tend to spoil things...I recently went and tried the Momentum's and thought they sounded pretty great. Unfortunately it didn't compact well and the cans were too small for my ear.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
Go on then. Take a leap of faith. Maybe it's something you should get used to. Many people like it, use it & love it. Buy HD 25 Originals if possible.
Good luck.

originals versions is only adidas logos and looking cooler I guess.. as long as audio quality and finishing consern I couldnt see any changes? I dont think it is worth paying extra for styling.. I am buying headphones to listen to good music not looking nice and stylish. otherwise I would go for these marketing success beats by dre thing :) if there is any beats fan here, no offense :)

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
I bought the M50 blind based on recommendations here and after that went and tried the HD 25-1 II's in a store for a while and can honestly say that if given a choice for pure music quality then the HD's wins hands down. However, in the US the HD's are twice the price and I'm also pretty damn neurotic about on-ear's. The HD's are by no means uncomfortable but my personal preference runs  to circumaural.

That said, I'd still recommend the HD 25's for the listening experience as I'm looking for something better than the M50's for a portable, over ear closed can experience for myself after a very brief time of ownership. I guess open's tend to spoil things...I recently went and tried the Momentum's and thought they sounded pretty great. Unfortunately it didn't compact well and the cans were too small for my ear.

I heard about momentums too but 300 euros (in belgium, europe) is too damn high for my current budget.. I am trying to avoid on ear HPs too but many suggestions comes for them.. if there was one good pair of headphones which has a audio quality like hd 25s and structure like m50s I would go for them I guess.. anyone knows cans like this? 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
originals versions is only adidas logos and looking cooler I guess.. as long as audio quality and finishing consern I couldnt see any changes? I dont think it is worth paying extra for styling.. I am buying headphones to listen to good music not looking nice and stylish. otherwise I would go for these marketing success beats by dre thing :) if there is any beats fan here, no offense :)

Actually there is a tiny difference between HD-25-1-II & HD 25 Originals. Though both has exact frequency response of 16-22,000 Hz, The hd 25 originals has Nominal Impedance of 72 ohm where the h-25-1-II has nominal impedance of 70 ohm. My brother is authorised dealer of Sennheiser, I'm just looking at the 2011 catalog f Sennheiser headphones, & typing this. And physically they has one tiny difference also. the Originals has more space within the soft ear pads. Look the pictures available very carefully, you'll see. rest of the decision depends upon you. Good Luck.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
Actually there is a tiny difference between HD-25-1-II & HD 25 Originals. Though both has exact frequency response of 16-22,000 Hz, The hd 25 originals has Nominal Impedance of 72 ohm where the h-25-1-II has nominal impedance of 70 ohm. My brother is authorised dealer of Sennheiser, I'm just looking at the 2011 catalog f Sennheiser headphones, & typing this. And physically they has one tiny difference also. the Originals has more space within the soft ear pads. Look the pictures available very carefully, you'll see. rest of the decision depends upon you. Good Luck.

do you know any headphones which sounds more or less exactly like hd 25s but over ear structured instead of on ear? that's what I am looking for I guess.. german maestro 8.35D maybe? not sure.. any help would be perfect..

btw, I think lower impedance would be a better option for me about the hd 25s since I will not use any amp..

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
do you know any headphones which sounds more or less exactly like hd 25s but over ear structured instead of on ear? that's what I am looking for I guess.. german maestro 8.35D maybe? not sure.. any help would be perfect..

btw, I think lower impedance would be a better option for me about the hd 25s since I will not use any amp..

for now I can't think of one. but I will ask my friends & superiors about a over ear one.
lower impedance is better of course, if you drive them from a less powerful source. but if your source is Powerful, then you will need a higher impedance headphone driver for maximum accurate amplification.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:
for now I can't think of one. but I will ask my friends & superiors about a over ear one.
lower impedance is better of course, if you drive them from a less powerful source. but if your source is Powerful, then you will need a higher impedance headphone driver for maximum accurate amplification.

thank you for your efforts it would be most helpful for me to have over ear hps.. looking forward to hear from you before buying something..

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #23 of 23
Low impedance does not mean 'sounds good without an amp' (ref. grado, akg, beyer 70ohm etc. ). Sensitivity and other attributes that I am not technical enough to understand (!) are what counts, together with one 's own preference for sound, practicality and comfort.

FWIW, many of my cans were an attempt to find an improved or circumaural alternative. None have got there... those that have tried - DT150, DT250 (though these are excellent with an amp at home!), SRH840 & SRH 940. I have tried M50 but my 1st response was not positive. Many other people love them... try them if you can. I have given up on an alternative (except maybe one day the Amperior). My shortlist would be cans I've never heard so my comments on these are irrelevant.

After break in I find the HD25s with velour to be comfortable even with glasses. They scale with an amp but are satisfying without for a very wide range of recordings/genres.

Some people can't get on with the sound or the comfort. All your fellow headfiers can do is help you build a shortlist. Only you will know what you will like, hopefully love and be happy to live with.

Good luck

Best

James

PS if a comparative audition proves not to be possible, you will find the HD25 appreciation thread gives you (albeit positively framed) a thorough commentary on sound and ergonomics including durability, comfort and isolation.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/163153/hd25-1-appreciation-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back