Seriously is AK300 or AK320 a step up from AK240?!
Jun 18, 2016 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bengkia369

1000+ Head-Fier
Or AK240 still sound superior compared to those two?
Please feel free to share your views!

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 11
Depend on your song list. If vocal jazz audiphile still ak240 rules.

If your song is pop rock, high-bpm songs ak3xx is better due to higher bass and impact.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 11
Well yeah, they're like 60 or 80 steps up depending on model. :wink:

May 21, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 11
upload_2019-5-21_11-11-46.png

NO, i don't think so. The 380 Does better than the 240. i auditioned the 300, 320 & i have a 240...

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 11
As said above, I think this depends very much on what you're listening to. The 240 to me seemed to be a little more like the 'Japanese' refined hi-fi sound; a little more clinical - fantastic for jazz, classical and acoustic music. The AK300 is more 'rough around the edges' has a little bit more of the warmth, that tends to make rock, pop and synthwave shine really well, but for more technical jazz and modern jazz and classical takes away a little bit of the polish.

When I auditioned the 320 and 300 against one another I found there to be very little difference - but was only using CA Orions which are single BA and by no means the most detailed IEM out there, so can't say definitively how much difference there is. There felt like a definite step up between the 300 and 380 - to my memory (was a little while ago!) the 380 seemed more refined than the 300, keeping the same warmth but taming it so that there was slightly better separation between instruments.

For me the AK300 was more than suited to what I was looking for - wouldn't say it's necessarily better than the 240, just a slightly different feel with a touch more warmth at the expense of a little detail.

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 11
The AK320 sounds more vertical with it's soundstage and a firmer cluttered sound compared to the AK380 which sounds expanded with a splashy porous shiny sound. I like both.Very impressive. The AK320 is more like a expensive CD deck sound and the AK380 sounds like a Hifi system. The CD deck sound is more magical but the Hifi system sound is bigger in scope.... I don't have an AK240 but maybe I'll buy one. I'm hoping that has a computer style sound - cold, mathematical, digital.

Jun 12, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 11
The AK320 sounds more vertical with it's soundstage and a firmer cluttered sound compared to the AK380 which sounds expanded with a splashy porous shiny sound. I like both.Very impressive. The AK320 is more like a expensive CD deck sound and the AK380 sounds like a Hifi system. The CD deck sound is more magical but the Hifi system sound is bigger in scope.... I don't have an AK240 but maybe I'll buy one. I'm hoping that has a computer style sound - cold, mathematical, digital.

The 240 can be detailed, energetic, immersive & that Large Sound stage whilst on the go, depends on what IEM / HP you'll use. With my W50+Silver Balanced+bespoke Comply Quiet Spot Silicone tips does that on my daily travels. Since I have a home hi-fi setup myself, it's like listening to a proper, decent Desktop setup to say the least. I auditioned the 300, 320, sp1k, sp1km and honestly, AK business model for the hobbyist, if he/she can afford to collect them all, that's good. Otherwise, choose the Best (your preferred signature) w/ the least compromise.
Should I upgrade? Sure, the sp1km for travel, the sp1k for home use (desktop), but i'm still keeping the 240, that's for sure...

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm interested in the AK240 because of it's cirrus logic DACs. Combined with the blocky metal flair design it makes me think it is a logical device with sophistication. Hence a computer sound, basically a Japanese Matrix World sound..... since I'm suppose to be going to 'R-Type' World by myself - a computer world destiny. I have the AK320 for my R-Type World compilation and it sounds blissful with the Shure 846, but I'm looking to get a more cold digital Japanese sound device which would be sharper. If the AK320 sounds 'bright blue', the AK240 would sound 'dull blue', I guess is the difference I'm looking for.... a fainter mucky blue of the computer world.

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm interested in the AK240 because of it's cirrus logic DACs. Combined with the blocky metal flair design it makes me think it is a logical device with sophistication. Hence a computer sound, basically a Japanese Matrix World sound..... since I'm suppose to be going to 'R-Type' World by myself - a computer world destiny. I have the AK320 for my R-Type World compilation and it sounds blissful with the Shure 846, but I'm looking to get a more cold digital Japanese sound device which would be sharper. If the AK320 sounds 'bright blue', the AK240 would sound 'dull blue', I guess is the difference I'm looking for.... a fainter mucky blue of the computer world.
I auditioned 300, 320 & i own a 240. The 240 is definitely brighter than 320. The least bright - 300...

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 11
I suppose it's a grainier static graphic type sound signature then with the AK240 just like my Ibasso DX80 which has that DAC. The AK320 sounds smooth.... I still wanna buy it because it's design makes it look like a logical computer device which is suitable for going to my R-Type destiny.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back