Serious Power Conditioning
Dec 23, 2005 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sum

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased a Furman RA-1210 and RI-1210. These are a voltage regulator and balanced isolation transformer. I was expecting subtle differences everywhere but nothing gigantic. I was previously using a basic Furman rack mount power conditioner. All I have to say is the difference is gigantic. It was a huge step up in video performance on my home theater. It was also a giant leap forward for my stereo. Considerably better clarity, lots more bass, more defined sound stage, etc. The most surprising thing though was it's effect on the performance of my DAC1. The DAC1 driving my HD650s sounds like a completely new device. It's just unbelievable. Has anyone else had similar experience?

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 11
Seeing is believing, and the Ultimate Outlet made a visible difference in my computer monitor, and HDTV output. Aural benefits were not gigantic, but certainly noticable.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 11
Yeah, the ultimate outlet is primarily a line filter. The voltage regulator helped my amp out, but the isolation transformer on my front end was the gigantic difference. I think this is the upgrade that has really brought out the true performance capabilities of the DAC1.

Jan 5, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 11
I suppose you won't mind telling us how much that costed you?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 11
Actually Furman was clearing out old inventory so it cost $900 with shipping all together. I believe it would be around $3000 if it was all from a reseller. It is missing the power factor correction, which is basically a large capacitor after the isolation transformer. At some point I'll solve that by putting in an RGPC.

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
It is missing the power factor correction, which is basically a large capacitor after the isolation transformer. At some point I'll solve that by putting in an RGPC.

is that really all that PFC is?

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Essentially, but it makes a huge difference. In a large power amp, transients require a lot of power on demand. If the amplifier exceeds it's internal excess power storage, it needs to draw current fast. Power factor correction or Richard Gray's Power Company products are essentially large capacitors (they are more complicated though) that keep a nice reserve of power. The large capacitor of course smooths out the wave form as well, which leads to deeper black levels on TVs, etc. The problem with a balanced isolation transformer is that it is a current limiting device and slows down the power delivery. The excess power storage mechanisms fix this problem. There are a lot of power zealots out there that believe less is more, and they simply are in favor of plugging an amp directly into a wall socket and letting the power cord do some minor clean up. In my opinion you are better off conditioning the hell out of the incoming AC as well as strong surge suppression (preferably Surgex) and then augmenting with PFC or RGPC. That way you get very, very clean power, with the ability to handle power requirement transients. Some people also prefer to convert the power to DC, and regenerate a clean AC waveform. That mechanism is rather inefficient though. This all of course is just my humble opinion.

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
Some people also prefer to convert the power to DC, and regenerate a clean AC waveform. That mechanism is rather inefficient though. This all of course is just my humble opinion.

That really depends on the device, though. Some of the line interactive APCs used in data centers (the big, heavy rackmounts) are extremely efficient.
There are even some designs that could achieve 99% efficiency.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 11
I have a power conditioning setup from PS Audio and Nordost power cords costing more than my audio system.
Every upgrade was a night and day difference. I expected a small difference but got shocked of the improvement, the next upgrade I expected more and got shocked again.
biggrin.gif

Every upgrade gave a bigger improvement than I could ever believe!
eek.gif

I am using two Power Plants instead of one. This way I can use different MultiWaves (MW II) for CD player and power amp. P-2 for CD player and P-4 for amp gives the best bass and speed performance. P-2 and TubeWave makes it sound the most lifelike while still giving tight transients. Both on TubeWave makes it sound too "loose" and slow but with a bigger soundstage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
In a large power amp, transients require a lot of power on demand. If the amplifier exceeds it's internal excess power storage, it needs to draw current fast..

This explains why my Psy Trance music benefited so much from power conditioning. And why big Krell power amps are so good for transients.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Yep, my sentiments exactly. I'm really amazed at how much performance you can get out of a mid-grade system with good power handling and cables. Honestly, I usually don't have a problem spending as much on the inerconnects as the component. It really gets you a ton more performance.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
Essentially, but it makes a huge difference. In a large power amp, transients require a lot of power on demand. If the amplifier exceeds it's internal excess power storage, it needs to draw current fast. Power factor correction or Richard Gray's Power Company products are essentially large capacitors (they are more complicated though) that keep a nice reserve of power. The large capacitor of course smooths out the wave form as well, which leads to deeper black levels on TVs, etc. The problem with a balanced isolation transformer is that it is a current limiting device and slows down the power delivery. The excess power storage mechanisms fix this problem.

If the power supply is designed properly there is no such of need of that storage power for an amp to draw...Waht happen is that good PSus are expensive, and to design properly a PSU is one of the more dificult steps on an amp, that is why some manufacturers tend to overdesign the PSUs and you see those huge banks of caps...buto nce the PSu is well designed, there is no need of such storages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back