Serious Listening Analysis........
Aug 1, 2002 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jodokast

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, so here it goes. I just finished my JC summer classes and just quit my job. (I just moved to Dublin, CA from Santa Rosa - near Pleasanton)

Anyhow, the point is now I finally have a serious number of hours to do some analytical listening - something I've been wanting to do for quite some time now. Anyways, my question to all you guys out there is how do I go about this?

Here's my setup: MG Head OTL, ART DI/O, Sherwood Newcastle CDP, Clou Red.

When I acquired each piece one by one I never did any real serious A/B listening. Now, I can tell it's better, but I can't say how it's better.

I.e. what do you think I should start out with? Plugging in my HD 600 first in my cdp and then in my amp, so one with DI/O+amp and one without. Should I hear a difference? What should I be looking for? soundstage qualities? instrument separation? clearness? spectrum of frequencies? Or should I mess around with like stock cable to clou red?

What cd should I use? I tried my fav. cds, but I figured that was stupid since I should use the most well-recorded cds I have - i.e. jazz singers like Diana Krall or a few various Disney soundtracks I have. Plus, I"m supposed to know a human voice best though? However, are the differences as apparent in human voices? Should I try and isolate stuff? like brass? strings? drums?

How did you guys first start seriously listening to music and tryingto listen for the differences.

Help would be preciate.d
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 6
ANyone? C'mon, i know I"m not the only guy roaming these boards.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Ugh. Damn...I just got my new LCD monitor, Samsung 171V - damn......with WinXP w/ cleartype font.

Christ.........this is unbelievable clear......

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Note: I know this is an incredibly subjective thing I"m asking, but all I"m really asking is to maybe share your first experience with it?

Aug 1, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 6
learning to critically listen in my case was acquired by listening to multiple components. i test soundstage using relativity: i focus on one instrument, usually drums, and try to place the rest of the performers in relation to it. proper frequency response comes from listening to live (preferrably acoustic) performances and spending a lot of time with different components. hit up local coffeehouses, college campuses, or bars and small venues to learn what instruments sound like - great investment and if you're lucky you'll hear some great music.

when i evaluate a piece of equipment my procedure is to hook it up and listen for a couple of weeks, make adjustments as needed (toe speakers in, different power cords, interconnects, etc) and take notes, then switch back to my reference setup and take notes, then a/b. time consuming, but i feel that i get an accurate idea of a component's character in my setup.

using good recordings is critical, but don't be afraid to use a ****ty one as well. the point is to get the music you listen to to sound its best, and instead of buying test tracks recorded well you should spend time getting the best transfers (dcc, mofi, whatever) of what you love and know inside and out. zoom into specifics: the seperation of notes, fingers sliding across the neck of a guitar, if a note trails in space. take your cds into a high end shop and don't be afraid to spend time auditioning gear. don't feel shy about asking for home auditions, with a credit card number on hold any respectable shop will allow it. if not, call up a mail order place and take advantage of the grace period, thats what its there for.

if i had your system i'd focus on experimenting with and without the di/o in the chain. then the different settings of the mg head, then probably tube rolling. comparing the sennheisers to your cdp's stock output is a waste of time imo, but definitely don't be afraid to experiment. don't get caught up in articulating what you hear, it well help down the line when you ask for upgrade advice and to share experiences here, but as long as you can appreciate the differences and find the character you're looking for putting it into words isn't necessary. once you get the sound down look at j. gordon holt's glossary of audio terms at stereophile.com if you want to find some ways to define what you hear (and use audio terms correctly).

hope this helps,
carlo.

Aug 1, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 6
The thing I focus on most is soundstage and placement. Like carlo, I focus on an instrument, and try to imagine where it is. Do you guys know what I mean? For example: with mx500s, I can't really SEE where the instrument is. With properly amped 580s, its another story.

Aug 1, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks guys.....I"m off!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 6
Okay, here goes

Whenever you compare components, don't just A/B...listen to the first one the last also... in the order of A/B/A so that way you can tell the differences even more. When you are comparing to like comparisons...go for double blind testing. (I know some don't believe in this, but it works)

Again, I must also highly recommend "The Complete Guide to High-End Audio" It is a great book...and has pretty much everything you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back