SERIOUS: Has Anyone Else Gotten A Virus From This Site
Apr 27, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #17 of 37
Coincidentally, I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 as a second OS. It's fun to play around in, but no Foobar makes me sad and a terrible college internet connection makes the installing of everything I need slow.

Anyway, I'm on W7 95% of the time (previously 100%) with Chrome and Avira AV and no problems yet. Is it any coincidence that I'm using AdBlock?

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #19 of 37
Windows 7 and Chrome, no issues here. AV is Sophos.

I've just scanned both a forum page and the main page using AVG online virus checker, and no issues were found..

---
EDIT:
Actually, if there is an exploit, it's likely to be browser specific. Can anyone who believes they've had an issue please post their operating system and browser versions?

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #20 of 37
Has anyone who's been hit managed to note down what linked ads were displaying at the time?

I'd imagine that's a strong suspect, and forwarding it to the Admins would probably be helpful.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coincidentally, I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 as a second OS. It's fun to play around in, but no Foobar makes me sad and a terrible college internet connection makes the installing of everything I need slow.

Anyway, I'm on W7 95% of the time (previously 100%) with Chrome and Avira AV and no problems yet. Is it any coincidence that I'm using AdBlock?

Try Quod Libet, you might like it. It's fairly similar to Foobar2000.

I'm on FF 3.6.3 FWIW.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiaulou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My scanner detected & blocked a Trojan just now. Running Windows 7 with Avast and Firefox 3.6.3. The link said the source was some url from google analytics.

The same thing happened to me about 2 hrs ago. My Norton 360 blocked the same Trojan attack.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #25 of 37
NOD32 blocked a Trojan when I logged on tonight. Using Windows 7 and Firefox 3.6.3.
Don't know if this will help the admins, but according to NOD32's quarantine log:

Object name: (google.analytics.com/waolovbichmz.info/kav/KAV4) ending with ".html"

Size 10843

Reason: JS/Exploit.Agent.NBA trojan

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm on Ad Blocker as well as Adblock Plus to cover all ads. No attacks here either.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #28 of 37
i had firefox freeze several times with regards to the flash ads, forget what the warning was, something to do with flash script. hasn't done it for a while.
Running a mac so no antivirus.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #30 of 37
It's probably an infected ad. They'll have to track which one and get it taken off of their rotation.

Chrome is pretty much blocked off from anything like that getting to it, at least at the moment, it's a very secure browser. Not too sure about Firefox, but with ad blockers it will stop them loading and be fine. Chrome's ad blockers do NOT stop the ads loading, just from displaying, but Chrome is secure enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Be careful if you're using IE, especially an older version.

Macs / Linux probably won't have any problems. If you're running Windows, get an AV. Microsoft Security Essentials / Avast are recommended free ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back