Serious dap help - Please
Feb 6, 2019 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
I researched for 2 months before buying the Opus #1s. Fell in love with it. After a short time, it started having serious battery issues. So I exchanged it with another from the retailer I bought it from. Same problem. The retailer sent them all back to the manufacturer because they tested all stock on hand, and found they were all faulty.
What I wanted was excellent sound quality, balanced, and plenty of power in a no frills dap. I don't need wifi, Bluetooth, streaming, etc. But if I find the right replacement dap, and it happens to have all the bells and whistles - so be it.
The problem I'm constantly running into is the rather limited amount of power most daps have from the single ended output. The Opus had 3.1 vrms. My LG V40 has something like 2.1 vrms.
My 1st dap was the Shanling M2s. It had 130 mw of power. It wouldn't push most of my full size cans to my preferable listening levels. I'd like to find something with close to 200 mw of power from the single end, but most daps seem to only offer such power from the balanced circuit. For example, I'm looking pretty hard at the Ibasso dx120. Tons of power from the balanced end, but only 100 mw of power from the single end. Unfortunately, I can't listen to all of my cans balanced. Can anyone recommend a dap that meets my requirements? I think the Cayin N5iis would get me close, but I can only spend around 350 dollars.

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 7
The UI seems to be pretty straight forward as there have been a few FW updates but as most older DAPS they have been left somewhat unfinished that been said my only issue was the folder play thru stopped playing thru. What I mean by this is when I picked an artist such as " White Stripes " it would just play the first album over and over and over, you get it. So I reinstalled the latest FW and I was back in business. The rest of the UI is IMHO quite good as there is a lot of features to choose from. I just set the gain to high plug in my Focal Spirit Pro, crank the volume up to about 55 clicks, no higher cause it's loud and I like loud.
The sound ( forgive me as I still have not grasped the audio speak) is quite full and deep, the vocals are very well done as I can hear and fell every little warble ( is that a word) I am really big on vocal, passion, emotion in the artists that I listen to, the N5 does that for me. As for the individual instruments I do not have an issue with picking them up clearly. The bass had a nice thump to it as well.
I have owned about 8 different DAPS since I discovered this hobby and the N5 by far has been the best.
The thing to remember is that we all hear sound differently so what may be great for me, well you know.
One last thing is I am totally deaf in my left ear and I think this Dap is amazing, just saying
Feel free to ask more questions

Bruce

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 7
The UI seems to be pretty straight forward as there have been a few FW updates but as most older DAPS they have been left somewhat unfinished that been said my only issue was the folder play thru stopped playing thru. What I mean by this is when I picked an artist such as " White Stripes " it would just play the first album over and over and over, you get it. So I reinstalled the latest FW and I was back in business. The rest of the UI is IMHO quite good as there is a lot of features to choose from. I just set the gain to high plug in my Focal Spirit Pro, crank the volume up to about 55 clicks, no higher cause it's loud and I like loud.
The sound ( forgive me as I still have not grasped the audio speak) is quite full and deep, the vocals are very well done as I can hear and fell every little warble ( is that a word) I am really big on vocal, passion, emotion in the artists that I listen to, the N5 does that for me. As for the individual instruments I do not have an issue with picking them up clearly. The bass had a nice thump to it as well.
I have owned about 8 different DAPS since I discovered this hobby and the N5 by far has been the best.
The thing to remember is that we all hear sound differently so what may be great for me, well you know.
One last thing is I am totally deaf in my left ear and I think this Dap is amazing, just saying
Feel free to ask more questions

Bruce
Right on. Much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back