September Basho
Sep 16, 2006 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
OK, Sumo fans, it is here! The basho is off to a very interesting start as all of the Ozeki are having trouble. Kaio, in particular, has dropped out with an injured hip. Asashoryu looks strong as usual, though he has dropped an early bout to Kisenosato. A good place for updates is here: http://www.sumonow.net/results.php

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 6
the 6th day of this basho was the first time the yokozuna and all ozeki got a kuroboshi since the 7th day of the spring 1993 basho, although with Ama losing his bout on the 7th day several rikishi are tied for first again so this might get pretty interesting.

Hakuho losing two in consecutive days for his third loss of the basho is making for his promotion quite in doubt too, so Asashyoru might be the only yokozuna for a while more....

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Yes. I really wanted to see hakuho do well this tournament. I get to watch it live local time in the afternoon here until 6:00. I'm happy because Monday is a national holiday so I can loff around and watch it monday too.

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Today's coverage was pretty okay. No big upsets though. If the Asashoyu wasn't there, things would get very interesting, (just like when he got injured and left the tourney a complete of months ago.)

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 6
Man I wish it was on cable in the US somewhere. I always love to watch it when it happens on ESPN or wherever it appears. I've really gotten into watching it and would love to attend in person some day. Although at my current height:weight i'd be mistaken for a contender until they saw I was American.
biggrin.gif

They had something else on where they tried to 'WORLD-a-tize' it and had some World Champion match at Madison Square Garden. Looked really hokey.

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Asashoryu takes another yusho, his 18th and he is only 26 yrs. old! He actually won on the 14th day even while losing that bout to Chiyotaikai since his nearest competitor (Ama) also lost.
Kaio has been pretty messed up with injuries lately; I hope he is back for the next basho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back