September 12th- What did you buy?
Sep 13, 2006 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
Yesterday was a pretty big day for new music. Xiu Xiu, Junior Boys, The Mars Volta, TV on the Radio, and Yo La Tengo all had new albums out.

Anyone get anything new? And how did it live up to your expectations? I bought The Airforce by Xiu Xiu, So This is Goodbye by Junior Boys and whatever the Mars Volta's new album is called, but have only had time to listen to the Junior Boys disc. A very good evolution in sound since Last Exit, although I might prefer the crispness of the first album.

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 24
I got the new Mars Volta. I've only listened to it once, but it doesn't seem to be all that great so far.

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 24
I'm going to pick up the new Mars Volta on my way home from work. I've already heard a few bits and pieces, and I didn't think it was as good as their previous albums. We'll see though...

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 24
Funny, I did buy a CD last night. But it was REM - Best of the IRS Years.

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 24
I picked up the new Mars Volta, as well as Justin Timberlake's newest: "FutureSex/LoveSounds" (on a recommendation).

TMV's was, shockingly....awful. I think the LSD finally worked its magic, and Cedric and Omar have gone off the deep end.

Timberlake's was (shockingly again) fantastic. See my reveiw for details.

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 24
I've been on a dry spell lately... not really into Mars Volta so that one is out and my usually esoteric diamonds in the rough have been very difficult to find lately.

The last few things I got were from CDbaby... female vocal stuff like 20's swing/Jazz/Hawaiian... kinda different.

I'm looking forward to the new Evanescence even though they have been well worn by all the radio stations... I still like Amy's voice. New Beck might be promising, anyone have any recs for me? Tool, RHCP, female vocal stuff etc.?

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 24
Yep, yesterday was a good day for the muzak. The New releases I took home:

Los Abandoned - Mix Tape
The Rapture - Pieces of the People We Love - So far, this is a my fave of the new releases.
Junior Boys - So This is Goodbye - Not as good as last exit IMO.

I skipped the Mars Volta and Timberlake. Will buy both when the cheap used copies hit Amazon.

I've had the TV on the Radio for over two weeks.
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I've been on a dry spell lately... not really into Mars Volta so that one is out and my usually esoteric diamonds in the rough have been very difficult to find lately.

The last few things I got were from CDbaby... female vocal stuff like 20's swing/Jazz/Hawaiian... kinda different.

I'm looking forward to the new Evanescence even though they have been well worn by all the radio stations... I still like Amy's voice. New Beck might be promising, anyone have any recs for me? Tool, RHCP, female vocal stuff etc.?

If you buy stuff from CDBaby, then try Joshua Path "The Sugar Fields", or Richie Kotzen's new album "Into the Black", two very good albums (the latter I've only heard snippets of, but I'm a huge Richie Kotzen fan). Other great albums by him would be "Slow" & "Change".

Also, 2blossoms.com has VAST's "Turquoise & Crimson"-- another great album (I'm pretty much a fan of anything by VAST). I hear they have a new album for download called "April".

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 24
I did a little shopping on the 12th. I picked up some oldies from The Doors and U2's WAR and October. Also picked up the latest from Vernon Reid and Masque. In the mail, I got Flowermouth remastered by No-man. Shamefully picked up the new Christina Aguilera for the wife. I also finally got around to buying the X-BOX 360 and a bunch of games. I never play video games anymore, but somehow I always find myself buying video game systems for the 1 or 2 times a year that my friends feel like revisiting our younger days.

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Ah, thanks for posting! I forgot about the YLT album.

Exactly -- I'm very exicted about this one. They had two free mp3 downloads from the album on their website -- sounds great.

Sep 13, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 24
I bought To-Mera - Transcendental, Progressive Metal from the UK, released on Candlelight Records on the 11th.

Sep 13, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 24
On the 12th, I bought the two-disc R.E.M. 1982-1987 collection, am enjoying that quite a bit, if only for the memories within the discs. Also purchased the new The Rapture disc, which is also real good, and quite a bit more enjoyable that their (IMHO) over-hyped "Echos". I also picked up the new Basement Jaxx "Crazy Itch Radio" which is surprisingly good from a band that I've always liked the singles of, but rarely listened to full albums of.

Sep 13, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 24
So far, I have been sampling on Rhapsody instead of buying. I like the title of YLT's new album I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass so much that I may buy it just for that. I was in Japan recently and the Osaka Tower Records had a handwritten sign for the disc in Engrish that called it I Am Afraid Of You, Beat Your Ass. Funny stuff. Can't quite get into Mars Volta but I am listening to the new Los Lobos and like it, and I liked the new Hem from last week. Thanks for the additional ideas in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back