Seperates or CD Player? Budget Inside.
Apr 3, 2012 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've been looking at seperates because it's what I prefer but I'm wondering if I can get better SQ from just a straight CD player.

Considerations:
Woo DAC + Woo Transport
W4S DAC 2 + Aune Cyclone (I like matching components but I think this is the best option)
M1 DAC + M1 Transport
Rega DAC + Rega Apollo R

And of course I'm open to player recommendations (or transport recs). I haven't much research in the 2k CD player range. It absolutely needs 2 outs (one for my speakers and one for my cans), everything else is gravy. SACD playback is a bonus.

I'm wiling to stretch up to 3k but only if it's.reeeeally nice. :D

(I've made a similar thread recently but this one is a bit more specific and has a higher budget)

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 15
Another note. I am looking for detail more than 'musicality' as both my systems are fairly warm already. I'm also not as concerned with USB implementation though it is a plus if it has it and it sounds good.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 15
Another note. I am looking for detail more than 'musicality' as both my systems are fairly warm already. I'm also not as concerned with USB implementation though it is a plus if it has it and it sounds good.

Are you interested in used equipment or only new?

I have a Lexicon RT-20 that would fit your requirements perfectly and would be half your budget.

I was using the Lexicon as my main source for awhile, but recently turned back to using an Arcam player because it is a little more musical and more forgiving. The Lexicon sounds fantastic and is extremely detailed. I love it for listening to audio that is mastered really well, but I wanted something more forgiving because I listen to a lot of indy/low budget bands and the Lexicon didn't hide their lack of quality mastering at all.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm a bit weary of used CD players so while I prefer new I'll definitely keep it in mind. It's a good looking player feature wise.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 15
I've just gone down this path and have had 3 of the 4 DACs you list in house for audition (Woo is the only one I haven't heard). I also own the SA8004 and a Metric Halo ULN-2. Beyond the DACs you list I also auditioned the Perfectwave DAC Mk1, Bel Canto DAC 2.5, Bryston BDA-1 and Benchmark DAC1. I previously owned a PS Audio DL III. I've never heard any of the transports.

I ended up buying a Denon DCD-A100 CD/SACD Player which is an absolutely stunning sounding unit and to my ear betters all of the standalone DACs I've tried. Unfortunately it also has the same flaw for you as the Marantz, only one output.

So I guess the answer from my perspective is that yes a standalone CD player is definitely worth considering. I haven't heard any of the other options in the 1-3K range but there are a number of possibilities. Yamaha CD-S2000, Musical Fidelity M6, Cambridge 840C, Vincent CD-S7/DAC are a few that come to mind.

Otherwise I'd suggest you just cross the Rega DAC off your list. I found it to be a minimal improvement over the Marantz and it definitely won't meet your goal for detail retrieval.  

BTW, to me the Wyred DAC 2 would be the easy winner off your list. It's an excellent sounding DAC.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 15
That Yamaha looks amazing but I wonder if the little issues have been fixed...if so it looks great at 2k.

The M6 would be the other choice, but it'd be tough to stomach at 2500.

DAC 2...Hmmmm...

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 15
The Rega combo, ApolloR CDP first, then possibly the DAC has my attention, but unfortunately I cannot really comment as I have not heard them.

Having said that, the more I "investigate" the more it becomes a bit like the "cable" debate-does a "better" digital source make much (if any) difference.  1s and 0s are going to be the same no matter what, therefore apart from features is the only difference "jitter?"  And is jitter a problem with any decent (read not very expensive) modern CDP?

My heart is set on an ApolloR, but my head is starting to tell me that it may simply be marketing hype and there will be no discernible difference from my (excellent performing) Harman Kardon HD 970 CDP.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 15
Keep the iMac/Marantz as the transports and spend the money on a good outboard DAC would be be my recommendation. For your budget, the W4S Dac 2 is the best among those you listed (though the Woo is an unknown quantity). I would highly recommend you take a good look at these other DACs too. The Audiolab M-DAC, Calyx DAC with LPS, Auralic Ark Mx+ and NAD M51 all look like very good DACs and are all worth considering.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 15
Keep the iMac/Marantz as the transports and spend the money on a good outboard DAC would be be my recommendation. For your budget, the W4S Dac 2 is the best among those you listed (though the Woo is an unknown quantity). I would highly recommend you take a good look at these other DACs too. The Audiolab M-DAC, Calyx DAC with LPS, Auralic Ark Mx+ and NAD M51 all look like very good DACs and are all worth considering.

I've added another DAC to the mix but still narrowed it down in the process.

Simaudio 300D + Aune Cyclone Transport
W4S DAC 2 + Aune Cyclone Transport
Yamaha CD S2000

Probably listed in order of interest atm. Anyone have experience with the 300D? I like its no frills approach and it.comes recommended by my dealer.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 15
Since you use an iMac have you considered a Weiss DAC2 and Amarra software? The DAC2 is the pro audio version of the 202, at under half the price. Connects via firewire and makes great use of Amarra/iTunes. The purchase of a Weiss DAC enables you a free copy of the Amarra software via this link You know iTunes makes pretty good rips with ecc right? In my opinion much more convenient and forward thinking vs investing in optical transports.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 15
Since you use an iMac have you considered a Weiss DAC2 and Amarra software? The DAC2 is the pro audio version of the 202, at under half the price. Connects via firewire and makes great use of Amarra/iTunes. You know iTunes makes pretty good rips with ecc right? In my opinion much more convenient and forward thinking vs investing in optical transports.

I don't plan on using a PC anywhere in my main rig. The Mac will be in another room completely feeding another system. The main system is all about physical media (though I plan on a Squeezebox Touch for my digital only files).

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 15
Just came across this one too, doesn't seem to be shipping to the US yet but looks like an interesting unit with two outputs and DAC inputs. 

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/all-products/teac-cd-3000-s-cd-sacd-player-with-usb-input-and-dual-dac-s-in-silver.html

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Just came across this one too, doesn't seem to be shipping to the US yet but looks like an interesting unit with two outputs and DAC inputs. 

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/all-products/teac-cd-3000-s-cd-sacd-player-with-usb-input-and-dual-dac-s-in-silver.html

That Teac name inspires confidence. Interesting enough but I think I've decided to actually go with the Moon 360D. Still of course researching options but I know Simaudio well and my advisor/dealer recommends them.

Still have some saving to do so plenty of time to decide.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #15 of 15
The transport of the Pro Tascam CD-200 is probably every bit as good as any of the CD players mentioned and you can pick one of these up new for around $250. You can match this with the new Anedio D2 DAC and still be under $2000. You will not have SACD capability but redbook should be as good as it gets.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back