Seperate DAC and AMP below 500$
Jan 26, 2010 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Smirk

Head-Fier
I want to purchase a good desktop (I guess everything not portable is desktop?) DAC and AMP for my laptop and AD900 cans. So far I've been considering Firestone Audio Spitfire 24bit DAC (cause it has optical in) and Cute Beyond AMP. It'd be great to get any advice whether this rig would be good and if I should look somewhere else, for example at Little Dot stuff.

I've never owned either DAC or AMP, nor I have any friends with any knowledge about them, let alone having any (not many audiophiles out here).

So if anyone has a spare couple of minutes to write a few tips it'd be greatly appreciated.
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 12
Do you need optical in? You could always get the fantastic value for money Nuforce uDAC which has Coaxial in and USB in, RCA out. Are you looking for a tube amp (warm, smooth and fun), or a Solid State amp (detailed, energetic and accurate)? IMO $500 is overkill for the AD900 but if you upgrade in the future, at least you won't have to upgrade your gear for a while.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO $500 is overkill for the AD900 but if you upgrade in the future, at least you won't have to upgrade your gear for a while.

Which is what I thought. My aunt is in US now so I have a chance to order some gear without the need to pay huge shipping fees. So I'd rather get very good gear while I still have the chance and will the room for cans upgrade. I've never heard nor tube nor solid state amp so I cannot say for certain. I listen mainly to metal and rock, if it's of any relevance to the choice.

Another issue is that I cannot find any info about ASUS' laptops SPDIF out and whether it is optical and coaxial (some people say it's optical). And Nuforce uDac doesn't have optical in.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 12
Coax and Optical look very different to each other, just look and see what yours is.

For example, Left is Coax, right is Optical

Optical_Digital_Coaxial_converter.jpg

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 12
Those are Ins and they indeed look different. The digital out on the laptop is combined with HP out and looks just like a normal headphones port, just has s/pdif written near it.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 12
In's out for digital, same looking
biggrin.gif
Probably Line Out you are talking about.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In's out for digital, same looking
biggrin.gif
Probably Line Out you are talking about.

no, he is right, new (or not new) laptops come with this combo jack and it is capable of discerning (and switch automatically) whether it is an optical (mini format) or an usual 3.5" stereo cable. Laptops are rarely equipped with coaxial interface. But in any case, it will almost always use the spdif standard, so will most of dacs (no matter the interface). Don't bother to limitate yourself to optical dacs, there exist cheep (and good) coxial/optical converter for spdif signals.
wink.gif

cheers,

lao

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 12
lol k I got no idea about laptops so I will keep quiet now
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 12
And if your budget is $500, and you love the uDac sound, the HDP is around the corner for $400, based on the same architecture with a bigger HP amp, and a wider range of supported bit/freq combos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back