separated at birth ?
Feb 11, 2005 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Nak Man

Headphoneus Supremus
Since there are only a few Nak phones users here, I thought it might be interesting to see this similarity from drivers side:

gradonak.jpg

Sonically they resemble similar house sound - although sr80 are noticably more refined with less treble peaks and better bass. If I can get as productive as Bower64, or that guy at headwize, I'll install a tube on sp7's back to see if it can improve the bass. SP7 drivers bear a stamp of 'primo' on the back and have 45 ohms impedance though. I gave up trying to open sr80 cups. =)

May 19, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 2
I never owned a pair of Nak SP7s, but whenever they appeared out of the corner of my eye in a hifi store my first reaction was "flat driver 'phones!" but of course they were moving-coil. Not bad for moving coil, but not what I was after at the time. Denon I think put out a similar 'phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
I'll install a tube on sp7's back to see if it can improve the bass.

It probably will, by keeping the backwave and frontwave from meeting and canceling at large wavelengths. Let us know how this experiment went (or even if it went).

Quote:

SP7 drivers bear a stamp of 'primo' on the back and have 45 ohms impedance.

Aha, a clew!
Primo is a longtime Japanese maker of microphones. In fact, they OEM'd the Nakamichi CM series mics. Now Primo is based all over the world. Try www.primomic.com and see if you don't find some things that resemble the old Nak/Grado driver. I'll just bet you that Grado has been buying their drivers from Primo for years.

Headphone makers have been known to use modified mic capsules for headphone drivers. An example would be Sennheiser's famous HD-414.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back