Separate the KCS-35 and 50, please
Jun 24, 2002 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a little consfused at the difference between the KCS-35's and the KCS-50 headphones. From what I understand, the KCS-50 is a "new model" of the 35's? Maybe you guys can help clear it up for me.

1. Do they use the same driver, just in a different package? I heard that they were not- and that the KCS-35's sounded a little better.

If they indeed are the same driver, why are the KCS-35's more expensive? Just because they are not made anymore?

2. Does one "hold on to your ear" better than the other? i.e. will the KCS-35's stay snug on your ear if you go jog or run or whatever, where the KCS-50's would tend to slip off or become loose?

3. Can you buy the 35's in stores still or are they internet-only? I checked a couple local computer stores (Circut City, Best Buy, etc) and all they seemed to have are the 50's. I don't really know where any decidated audio stores are around here, maybe they'll have them.

Thanks!

Ruahrc

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Ruah---

just in case you don't like clicking on old threads...
biggrin.gif

the 35 holds the drivers a bit tighter to the ear, meaning better bass. the 50s are a bit more laid back, and so give less bass...too little in the opinion of most reviewers. the 35 costs more because it is a bit scarcer but you can still order em from Koss or Headroom for $30. It is probably worth more, as most 35 owners (including me) love em, but most posters on the 50s seem very unimpressed. the drivers are the same, and are also used in Porta, Sporta, and KSC55. (though not in the UR40...)

the 35s are cetainly secure enough on the ear for most any type of activity. they are snug but not (IMO) uncomfortable.

hope that helps!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Indeed, buy KSC-35 from mrtibbs. I got mine from him and they shipped to Hong Kong in less than 5 days. Great service! FYI, these cans are actually assembled in China. Maybe because we don't have an official Koss dealer here, I couldn't get them in stores. The build quality is nothing to write home about. But what the heck when they do give good sound for USD20. Bewared, it may takes you some time to learn how to put them on. It's isn't a very steep learning curve anyway.

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 7
I am from Hong Kong too. Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago, and they sound great. But it seems the left earpiece is more "rugged" than the right one, since I find the sound from the right earpiece is more easily distorted when I crank up the volume, and slight "tearing" of vocal does occur sometimes in the mid range area, whereas the bass is always taut and clean. I really can't understand what is going on. Can anyone tell me if it is because of a faulty driver?

By the way, they sound so good that I would love to order another pair, and wonder who "mortibbs" is you guys are talking about. I am worried about the shipping charge, since mine were shipped thru Fedex (not my choice) and the shipping was fXXking expensive, costing more than the phones themselves. Where can I order these cans with reasonable shipping charge? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back