Sentey ThorX -best budget headphone ever!
Mar 13, 2016 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought these about a month ago, and have been using them for a while to make sure I give real impressions. I like to use my new headphones for a while before passing judgement to get that "new toy" feeling time to pass. I have had many many headphones, including most of the usual suspects under the $500 range, and this includes many budget headphones. I have long championed the JVC harx700 as the best budget headphone, and have preferred it over other contenders from Panasonic, Superlux, Sennheiser, and many Chinese brands. Until I got the Sentey Thorx!
The headphones came in a normal box, nothing special. Inside are the headphones and detachable cable inside a clamshell carry case. The case is nothing special but a nice addition considering the $39 price tag. The headphones themselves are made of plastic with a steel headband, brushed metal accents, and faux leather earpads. The cups swivel and fold. The cable is a remote with mic type, 3.5mm on both ends, making cable swapping easy. The headphones feel solid enough, only time will tell. The cups are circumaural, and my big ears just barely fit inside. The pads are thick and soft, comfort is not an issue, even with glasses. 

The sound: I can best describe these as a cross between a Denon and a Beats. They have a slightly V-shaped sound curve, more so than a mid range Denon(like a d600 or d2000), but less bass than a Beats Studio 2.0. The highs come out nicely, are not recessed at all. The mids are rich as well. The bass is slightly mid-bass pronounced but not so much that it impedes on rest of the range. 
My preferred music is rock, classic rock and metal to be exact. I also tried these with modern pop music, Rihanna, Shakira, etc. 

From a portable source (Galaxy S5). Amp not needed, but I do have to turn the phone up pretty high for these headphones. Listening to some Pat Benatar, the sound is clear, with the vocals and bass lines shining through nicely. Some Adele had a richer sound, very full sounding. In a portable way, these are a clearer sounding Beats studio. 
Using my computer, with its nice soundcard or dac, the sound comes alive as one realizes these headphones have some range. The entire range is very nice and rich, no hotness to the highs at all. The bass is slightly mid-bassy, but that's not unusual for headphones nowadays. 
In comparison the the very popular JVC harz700, I must say the Sentey ThorX beats them in every way but soundstage. The JVC sounds slightly dull in comparison. The JVC has great build quality and has stood the test of time, with the Sentey, who knows?
These things have over 600 reviews on Amazon with 4.5 stars average. I can whole-heartedly recommend these. Easily the best budget headphone I have ever heard.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 14
Completed with a few impessions

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 14
Thks for the inpressions. Can the headband extend sideways?

Yes of course the headband extends out. The photo on the box shows the headphones not extended. My photos have the headbands extended. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 14
  You did misspell that in the title - was just googleing Sentry ThorX and just got this thread as top result. Thanks for the review. Can't believe these are only $39

Lol fixed!

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 14
I have owned these headphones for about 5 months. They are very impressive. They make my Ultrasone HFI-450 sound muddy and dark in comparison. These headphones sound quite derail as well. The vocals are upfront and clear as well.

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 14
I have had these for months now and I can say these have stood the test of time!

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back